Lecture Fund Remains Committed to Free Speech

To the Editor:

On behalf of the Lecture Fund, I’d like to thank all those who attended either Wednesday evening’s lecture by Chris Simcox in Copley Formal Lounge, or the protest in Red Square. The smooth operation of both the speech and the counter-event are a testament to the Georgetown community’s maturity and integrity. On Nov. 1 we all demonstrated our university’s commitment to free speech and the fruitful exchange of ideas.

The Lecture Fund recognizes that Simcox’s Minuteman Civil Defense Corps is a controversial group. As a result, we took several steps to ensure that the lecture would be presented in the most respectful manner possible. We sought to be proactive by reaching out months ago to campus groups who were in opposition to the event. We worked hard to secure a venue with a large, clearly visible and adjacent protest zone. We also insisted on having a lengthy question – and – answer session following Simcox’s speech. Lastly, we are currently working with several other campus groups to plan follow-up events featuring speakers that offer a different perspective on immigration.

The Lecture Fund is a non-partisan organization dedicated to promoting dialogue on campus. Simcox is a central figure in our country’s current debate on the subject of illegal immigration, and we felt it fair to offer him the chance to explain his group’s position.

Michael Jurist (SFS ’07)

Chair, Lecture Fund

Nov. 2, 2006