SWIMMING | Squads Grab Victories Against Davidson

The Hoya women won 15 out of the 16 events at the Davidson meet.
Aisha Malhas/The Hoya

The Georgetown men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams began their regular seasons with victories over Davidson in a dual meet held at home last Saturday.

The Hoyas’ victory against Davidson follows both teams’ strong finishes in the 2018 Big East Championship.

The women’s team, which finished second at the Big East Championships, won 195-94 while the men’s team, which finished third at the Big East Championships, followed suit with a 167-122 victory. The two teams combined to win 27 of the 32 total events.

Although the men’s team returns top performers including seniors Arthur Wang and Ryan Blom and the reigning Most Outstanding Male Swimmer of the Big East Championships, sophomore Drew Carbone, many of the more inexperienced swimmers stood out at the meet.

Freshmen won four out of the 14 individual events, with Michael Wheeler taking first in the 1000-yard freestyle, Brett Sherman winning the 200 and 500 freestyle, and Carlson Temple placing first in the 200 breaststroke.

Sophomores also made a large contribution, and Carbone picked up where he left off last season. Carbone claimed victory in both the 100 and 200 backstroke as well as the 200 IM. Sophomore Nate Goldfarb placed first in the 200 breaststroke while sophomore Matthew Werner won the three-meter dive.

Last weekend’s men’s performances were rounded out with upperclassmen victories in the one-meter dive by senior Ryan Blom and the 100 freestyle by senior Jacob Kohlhoff.

The women’s team also received contributions from the younger members of the team. Freshman Grace Chen won the 100 backstroke and freshman Lilly Clisham placed first in the 200 freestyle.

The sophomores on the women’s team dominated, winning 12 of the 14 individual events. Phoebe Slaughter filled the void left by the loss of seven-time Big East Championship gold medalist Molly Fitzpatrick (NHS ’18), placing first in both the 100 and 200 breaststroke in addition to the 200 IM.

Sophomore Belinda Donohoe and juniors Cristina Barrett and Lauren Henasey continued the Hoyas’ strong performance by sweeping the short distance freestyle, long distance freestyle and butterfly events.

In diving, sophomores led a clean sweep of the podium with Riley Fujioka placing first in the one-meter dive and Naomi Peng winning the three-meter dive. Sophomore Evie Mauzé rounded out the women’s team’s performance by touching the wall first in the 200 backstroke.

En route to winning 15 of 16 events on Saturday, the women’s team failed to touch the wall first in one event, the 200 freestyle relay.

Georgetown will look to continue last week’s success in a tri-meet with James Madison and Towson University hosted by Towson in Baltimore on Oct. 13.