A Break for the Weary

Over 500 years after Columbus sailed the ocean blue, the holiday that bears his name serves not as an occasion to celebrate his discovery, but as a strategically-timed break from the drudgery of school work for Georgetown students. In the three-month time span between Labor Day and Thanksgiving, students are given this single opportunity to catch up on school work, visit home or friends and, hopefully ” especially this year ” take a much-needed deep breath.

A replenishing long weekend can do much to refresh a student body that may be unusually stressed by this point in the year. The boundless optimism and good cheer that usually accompanies the beginning of the new school year has already dissipated for many and has been replaced with unhappiness and disgruntlement. Many students returned to the Hilltop and found out, to their chagrin, that the customary alcohol and party regulations had been thrown out by administrators in favor of stricter policies. The etropolitan Police Department even decided to step in and increase patrols of Burleith and West Georgetown on the weekends so upperclassmen could feel the strain too.

For those who were not upset about the alcohol policy tumult, maybe it was this very newspaper that put you in a bad mood. A group of students, unhappy with THE HOYA’s coverage of the Jena Six campus rally a few weeks ago, staged a Facebook campaign against the newspaper, and some even went as far as to declare the newspaper as ‘racist’both in chalk in Red Square and in marker on copies of THE HOYA in residence halls across campus.

Those students still in high spirits after those episodes discovered last week that a Georgetown student was arrested for assaulting another student last month in what has been labeled a hate crime. Some students are angry that a friend was attacked, others are angry that a friend is already being judged as guilty before criminal proceedings play out.

Then, by all accounts, a successful Traditions Week came and went. That is, of course, if you ignore the fact that it culminated with our football team being crushed by Cornell in the homecoming game 45-7.

For all of the newly-arrived freshmen, whose first taste of Georgetown is just a bit sour, rest assured, this atmosphere is not the norm. Campus commotion and student discontent seem to be running high these days. Can the cherry blossoms bloom soon enough? When is that great high-profile speaker coming?

There has been some encouraging news. Georgetown’s star basketball coach signed a contract extension. But perhaps it is indeed a relaxing long weekend that can act as a remedy which restores a cheerfulness in the Georgetown student body ” a group which seems desperately to need it.