A Love Affair With the Hilltop, Measured in Days

On Aug. 22, 2003, – just 1,348 days ago – I stepped foot on the Hilltop for the first time as a Hoya. I had never been away from home by myself for more than a week, and as I unpacked my bags in Harbin 401, boy was I nervous. I thought I’d be homesick within a second. I wasn’t even good at sleepovers as a kid, and college was the ultimate sleepover. Yet days became weeks, and before I knew it, I had the first semester under my belt. I kicked its ass.

Then – about 1,225 days ago – that fateful day came during Christmas break when I made the mistake of telling my mother, “Oh, I left that sweater at home.” Her mouth tightened, and her face slumped because for the first time, I referred to the Hilltop as “home.” It was and still is.

We all know the saying “home is where the heart is,” but for me home has always been where my life is. For 1,348 days, my life has been at Georgetown, and what a life it’s been.

About 1,085 days ago, I attended my first roof-top party, and about 5 days after that, I took my first dip in the fountain. About 950 days ago, my first article appeared in these pages – on this very page in fact. Sixty-three days later, I had my best birthday ever and made my first trip through the tunnels. About 300 days after that, 60 days after moving into Village A, I finally stopped getting lost in Village A.

Between days 485 and 350, I took a brief leave of absence from Georgetown to strut around The Strand, Covent Gardens and the Globe Theatre, bravely surviving on my own. Who knew that girl who couldn’t sleep through any night of her first week of college could fly 1,000 miles away to a foreign land and not only survive, but also have a bloody good time?

Ninety days later, I returned as a Georgetown senior. Forty-five days after that, I had my head stamped at the Tombs. Thirty-eight days ago, I watched the Hoyas soar to the Final Four, and one week ago, I accepted a job offer. Yesterday, I attended my last Georgetown class ever, and in 18 days I’ll be trampling across that darn seal with nothing to fear.

This succession of days, however, isn’t really what made my time at Georgetown a life; it’s the relationships I developed and the way I’ve developed myself. I have to admit you were right, mom; the friends I’ve made in college – most forged 1,348 days ago back on Harbin 4 – are the best I’ve ever had. They’ve surprised me, encouraged me, cared for me and shaped me.

Maybe that’s the most important part about this Hilltop I call Home: It’s made me into myself. I may not know exactly what I want to do with my life – do any of us? – but I know who I am. From the inspiring, challenging classes that kept me thinking and growing these last 1,348 days to the dysfunctional, irreplaceable hours spent in Leavey 421 producing these pages to the deep and not-so-deep conversations that lasted into the wee hours of the morning, all have made me into the Hoya I’m proud to be.

In 18 days I’ll have to leave my home, and no amount of heel clicking will allow me to stay. My future lies beyond Healy Gates, as does a new life and a new home. Thanks to Georgetown, I’m ready for it.

But no worries; in approximately 150 days I’ll be back for Homecoming. Hoya Saxa.

Kaitlyn Edsall is a senior in the College. She is a former features editor, contributing editor, guide editor and member of THE HOYA’S editorial board.