Administrators Accessible to Students

To the Editor:

In last Friday’s editorial, “GU Needs Open Leadership” (THE HOYA, Feb. 3, 2006, A2), the editorial board complained that the university administration is not accessible enough to students.

First of all, don’t lump together the top brass and all the deans in the category of “the administration” in terms of access. Of course DeGioia won’t be able to listen to your every concern, and I really don’t think that administrators will bother to schedule town hall-style meetings on a regular basis. I don’t like hosting or going to pointless, regularly scheduled meetings where hardly anybody shows up – that is what I expect would happen for your town hall proposal.

Secondly, Georgetown has some fantastic deans and vice presidents that have been very open to talk to students – College Assistant Dean Hubert J. Cloke and Daniel Porterfield, vice president for public affairs and strategic development, come to mind.

The fact is, compared to other schools where there are plenty of deans that are simply never available (my friends at University of aryland-College Park laughed when I asked if they talk to their deans), Georgetown deans are very accessible. At GUTV, we are counting on this accessibility to map out the growth of our station.

I can only imagine one circumstance that would inspire you to complain about this issue: the living wage debacle and how the top brass isn’t spilling the beans that they have supposedly been carefully counting. If this is the case, just say so. While I have sympathy for underpaid workers, I have none for whiny editorials that are simply uncalled for.

Kevin Michael Murphy (COL ’07)

GUTV Station Manager

Feb. 4, 2006