Auction Raises $3,000 For Service Groups

Aaron Terrazas/The Hoya GUSA Vice President Steve de Man (COL ’04), who emceed Tuesday’s auction, checks in with Fr. Christopher Steck, S.J., and Jack the Bulldog

Hoping to win dinner with prominent campus celebrities, Georgetown students gathered in Copley Formal Lounge Tuesday night for the first Hilltop Auction.

Students had the opportunity to bid for dinner with 12 university administrators, faculty and personalities including University President John J. DeGioia, SFS Dean Robert Gallucci and the Rev. Ryan Maher, S.J.

Prior to the auction, many members of the audience were coy about their possible bids.

“We’re looking to score some dinner and laughs,” said Jackie Novak (COL ’05). “But I won’t say who we’re bidding on.”

Novak is the director of The Georgetown Players Improv Group which, along with Harmony, one of Georgetown’s all female a cappella groups, provided entertainment throughout the evening.

Freshmen Ed Duffy (SFS ’07) and Matt Singer (SFS ’07), representing the new pledge class of Delta Phi Epsilon Fraternity, said they were excited to win on their $166.47 bid for a 12-person dinner with Todd Olson, interim vice president for Student Affairs.

“It will be great to go out with 12 pledges from the greatest fraternity in the world . to eat with Mr. Olson,” Duffy said.

Even Jack the Bulldog made an appearance, escaping from his caretaker the Rev. Chris Steck, S.J., and disrupting an improv performance to the laughter of the crowd.

Defying initial speculation that DeGioia would attract the highest bid, the team of Galluci and Lake raised $725. De Man edged up the bid on Galluci and Lake describing Galluci’s experience as a U.N. Weapons Inspector in Iraq before coming to Georgetown and Lake’s tenure as President Clinton’s National Security Advisor. DeGioia received the second highest bid of the evening at $370.

Patrick Lenaghan (COL ’04) could barely contain his excitement at having the chance to eat with the university president.

“I can’t wait to go because it should be really exciting,” he said.

GUSA Vice President Steve de Man (COL ’04) emceed the auction and kept the audience entertained parading across the stage with many jokes and amusing anecdotes. He was bought for $105 by Rev. Jes Sauer, S.J.

Although only expecting to raise around $400, the event ended up making over $3,000.

The auction was sponsored by the Friends Initiative, which is dedicated to building a stronger campus community at Georgetown. Profits will be donated to student groups in the Office of Volunteer and Public Service.