Bed Bugs Continue Cropping Up at GWU

The George Washington University has recorded six cases of bed bugs in five student dormitories so far this semester, GWU’s The Hatchet reported Saturday.

GWU Facilities Services investigated the dorms after students noticed bite marks that remained on their bodies even as the weather grew colder.

Bed bug bites result in rash-like symptoms, but do not have serious health effects, according to WebMD. Their presence can lead to prolonged anxiety if infestations are serious and left untreated, however.

The university responded to the discovery of bed bugs by spray treating the rooms twice during a two week period, GWU spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard told The Hatchet. Students were allowed to remain in their residences during that period, although they were prohibited from entering their rooms during the four hours immediately following the treatment.

They were additionally given “`bed bug bite-proof’ certified mattress encasements, a plastic bag for bed linens and suspected clothing and an interceptor collar for the bed post,” Sherrard said.

GWU has had about two dozen cases of bed bugs over the past three years, according to The Hatchet.

Georgetown University has had one reported case of bed bugs in a student residence this year, confirmed Associate Director of Communications Rachel Pugh. A university-owned townhouse was plagued with the bugs in late September. GU Facilities Services treated the townhouse that was infested earlier this fall.

Georgetown’s protocol for the removal of bed bugs differs significantly from that of GWU.

“As in any instance when this kind of report occurs, a pest control specialist examines the area and provides the most appropriate treatment – they make treatment determinations based upon their findings – [which] could range from needing to bag personal items to moving to a new location,” Pugh said.

Students who are required to leave their residences are provided on-campus housing while the bugs are exterminated. Furthermore, Georgetown policy dictates that new mattresses be purchased to replace those with bed bugs in order to prevent spread of the insects.