Blue and Gray Close Again

Coming into the 2005 season, Georgetown’s reputation as one of the premier lacrosse schools in America was already established – the Hoyas had been to three consecutive NCAA Tournament quarterfinals.

Still, the men in blue and gray had not been able to make it over the hump and into the Final Four. With an excellent freshman recruiting class and quality upperclassmen, hopes on the Hilltop had never been higher.

Georgetown started the season with a 13-6 loss to Maryland, but quickly rebounded with a four-game winning streak against St. John’s, No. 5 Syracuse, Delaware and No. 16 Hobart.

After another tough loss, this time a 12-3 defeat to No. 3 Duke, the No. 5 Hoyas rolled off yet another four-game streak, improving their national ranking to No. 3.

On April 23, No. 3 Georgetown traveled to Amherst to take on No. 9 UMass. The Minutemen gained the advantage during a heavy downpour, stealing a 13-12 win from the Hoyas. A week later, however, Georgetown took out its frustration on Rutgers, doubling up the Scarlet Knights, 14-7.

In the regular season finale, No. 7 Georgetown took on No. 15 Penn State at home. The game was tight throughout, but the Nittany Lions took a 12-11 lead in the final minutes. As the clock was about to expire, the Hoyas tied the score with 0.8 seconds left on a shot from point-blank range. The crowd went into a frenzy and the game went into overtime. Unfortunately for Georgetown, Penn State scored on the first possession of OT to seal the Hoyas’ fate.

In the first round of the NCAA tournament, No. 6 Georgetown blew out Army 16-6 behind the excellent play of senior Andy Corno, who won 15-of-16 face-offs. Freshman Brendan Cannon scored three goals in the first half, while sophomore Trevor Casey and senior Nick iaritis each tallied two goals. The Hoyas also played solid defense, keeping Tewaaraton Trophy finalist John Walker scoreless in the game.

The quarterfinals of the tourney provided a stronger challenge when the Hoyas took on Maryland’s No. 3 Terrapins. The Hoyas played the Terps strong throughout and made a late charge in the final minute to send the game to overtime with the teams tied at 8-8.

Maryland began the extra period a man down due to a three-minute penalty for an illegal stick, but the Hoyas were unable to convert. With less than a minute left in overtime, Maryland’s Andrew Schwartzman sniped the game winner to end Georgetown’s season.

The Hoyas finished the 2005 campaign with a 10-5 record – another solid mark for Head Coach Dave Urick. The 2006 team will miss some of the star seniors that comprised last year’s team, including Brodie Merrill – the team’s MVP and a two-time finalist for the Tewaaraton Trophy, the award given to the best player in the nation.

Replacing the contributions of senior midfielders Nick Miaritis and Andy Corno will also be difficult, but the Hoyas, according to the national media, should be up to the challenge.

Georgetown enters the 2006 season ranked No. 8 nationally, and eager players and fans look forward to a season in which they know the Hoyas will continue to be a force in men’s lacrosse.