Brown Retires After 25 Years of Dedicated Service

By Charlie Wang Hoya Staff Writer

After 31 years of working as a receptionist in the Office of the College Dean, Geraldine Brown retired last month.

She first began her career at the university working in the edical Center but transferred to the college and has worked as a receptionist ever since. In all her years working, she has been “doing a little bit of everything.” Co-workers said that she carried herself in an amiable, down-to-earth method and was very well liked by everyone who came across her.

As the receptionist, she served as the resource person who kept the office and students moving in the right direction.

“Well, I tell it like it is,” Brown said. “There was nothing complicated about my job, and I liked it.” Associate Dean Anne Sullivan said “Ms. Brown has been a part of this institution for a long time, and she’s served at the front desk for about 25 years. She is the first person, voice and face to greet students.”

In a letter, former College Dean Royden B. Davis, S.J.,said that “Brown was the guardian of the door – there was no getting around rs. Brown.”

Brown’s love for people, especially kids, left great impressions on people. She said herself, “I always enjoyed kids. If they had a little problem or anything, I can just about tell it by the way they talked to me. I just try to reach out and help.”

Gannet Tekle-Haymonot, administrative assistant to Sullivan, recalled, “Mrs. Brown was like a grandmother to all the students. She looked at them as if they were all her own kids.”

Many students have reminisced about their experiences visiting the College Dean’s Office. College freshman Cem Gunusen remembers, “She was really nice and helpful. She guided me to where to go.”

Around the office, Brown was known for her dedication to her job and concern for her colleagues.

“She cared a lot about her work as well as her colleagues,” Sullivan said. “She has always kept a very good relationship with people around the office.” In addition, Teckle-Haymonot noted how Brown was “in control. She always knew what she was doing.”

After her retirement last month, Brown is now “just enjoying life.” Nevertheless, she misses her days around the office. “It was a home away from home,” she said, “It was like a family. That’s the way I treated it, like a family. I had no ups or downs with anybody. We just kept things going straight. I miss it very much.”