Burglar Strikes New South Dorm Room

Burglar Strikes New South Dorm Room

By Tom Johnson Hoya Staff Writer

A burglar described as a black male around thirty years old and wearing a yellow ski jacket reportedly stole a Toshiba Satellite laptop computer from New South 339 Sunday afternoon, according to Sgt. Gilbert Bussey of the Department of Public Safety and New South resident and HOYA staff writer Nicole Clock (SFS ’02). The description of the burglar is similar to that of a suspect in two other incidents, including Monday’s burglary at 3339 Prospect Street (“Prospect Street House Burglarized,” 11/17/98), Bussey said.

According to Clock, the door to the room she shares with Meeta Sethna (MSB ’02) was unlocked at 2:30 Sunday afternoon. At that time, Clock was visiting friends next door with the door shut. Clock said Sethna got a call from her RHO and left the door unlocked, thinking Clock did not have a key. On her way down, Clock said, Sethna saw a suspicious man in the hallway. According to a DPS report, Sethna described the man as black, thirty years of age and carrying a walkman radio. Sethna was only gone for five or ten minutes, but did not realize her laptop was missing until an hour and a half later.

DPS received a call from the dorm room around 3:10 PM on the day of the burglary, said Bussey. According to Clock, Sethna made the call and then questioned other people on her floor who had seen the suspect. According to Clock, the laptop was taken in its carrying case, which also included notebooks and plane tickets.

Another resident on Setha’s floor confirmed the description of the perpetrator, with the exceptions that she thought the man was older, between 50 and 60, was short and had a shaved head. The resident saw the man walking up and down the hall and going up and down the staircase between the third and fourth floors.

Bussey said this is the third incident involving a suspect meeting this description to come to the attention of DPS in the past week. The first was a call from 3623 Prospect Street, a townhouse owned by the university property and thus under the jurisdiction of DPS. An unidentified man was seen in a room in the townhouse there wearing a yellow ski jacket, Bussey said. When asked why he was there, the man replied he was looking for Ty Williams. While Bussey said the name was most likely fictitious, there is a Tyra Williams (SFS ’99) at Georgetown. Nothing from 3623 was reported missing.

Williams could not be reached for comment.

The second incident, the burglary at 3339 Prospect, came to the attention of DPS only indirectly, since the property does not belong to the university. In that incident, student Derick Hena (FLL ’00) identified a black man in his mid-30s wearing a bright yellow puffy jacket. The suspect in that crime attempted to steal two laptops from 3335 Prospect Street, but dropped them attempting to scale a fence while escaping the scene of the crime.

In both incidents, the suspect is still at large.