Column Unfairly Portrays GSC

To the Editor:

The recent column “After Strike, Solidarity Searches for Direction” (THE HOYA, Oct. 17, 2006, A3) was a confusing, inadequately researched portrayal of what the Georgetown Solidarity Committee has done in past campaigns and a poor reflection on what the committee is working toward in the future.

Last year, the Solidarity Committee held the university accountable to its promise of a living wage for campus workers, and helped the P & R workers on Georgetown’s campus win a union through card-check (a democratic process to vote for a union). Those workers negotiated a contract this summer and now, finally, have support in the workplace. Who else was going to hold the university accountable? In this case, a little “griping” was what worked.

It’s clear that the committee does have a reputation for protesting, but we also have a reputation for getting things done. We hold ourselves to a very high standard – the same standard to which we hold the university. The reason much of the more public protesting has stopped (for now) is precisely because the committee is considering the university’s sensibilities and long-term goals.

Why should a campus group be criticized for working with the university? In this point it becomes clear that Moises D. Mendoza is just looking to stir up some controversy and do a little griping of his own. Through the Advisory Committee on Business Practices and the Licensing Oversight Committee, Georgetown has made a real commitment to care about its workers – both domestically and internationally. We are beginning to tentatively say that we can be proud of our university in that regard.

Mendoza asks the question “Where have all the campaigns gone?” I invite him and any one else on Georgetown’s campus to come to our meetings (Monday nights at 9 p.m. in White Gravenor 202) to find out.

Sarah David Heydemann (COL ’09)

Oct. 18, 2006.