Concert Delivers Mixed Results

Under strict budgetary and scheduling constraints and with no help from Mother Nature, volunteers from the Senior Class Committee and other student groups managed to put together a wildly popular concert Friday night. Not only should they be commended for a successful concert but also for having to put up with some less than grateful concert-goers.

An estimated 1,100 students witnessed the Coolio show, free of charge, and many others were turned away. By attendance figures alone, this concert was the most successful in recent memory at Georgetown. Organizers ably made last-minute behind-the-scenes preparations to accommodate students in O’Donovan Hall, as showers moved over the Multi-Sport Facility, the original venue.

Coolio – the rapper best known for his eccentric hairstyle and his chart-toppers from the mid-1990s – fulfilled both of the organizers’ criteria for a performer: He could draw a crowd and was affordable. And aside from generating enthusiasm, by most accounts, he put on an entertaining show.

But for the most part, unfortunately, the efforts of these student volunteers were thankless, as what should have been an entertaining show devolved into a drunken uproar.

Some students pushed and shoved their way to the front of the stage, while others crossed into restricted cordoned-off areas. Some students broke into the event, and there are also reports of students smoking and drinking alcohol inside the event. Volunteers had to deal with countless instances of unruly behavior by their own classmates.

Beyond failing to respect and appreciate the performer, other attendees and those students who devoted their time and energy into putting together the show, the few rowdy and disrespectful students also made Georgetown look pretty pathetic. In addition, many student groups, including and the Senior Class Committee, Georgetown Program Board, SAC, The Corp and GUSA cooperatively sponsored the event.

If, as the saying goes, “Manners maketh the man,” some Georgetown students are undoubtedly deficient.

The work that students put into the concert did not go unnoticed, and hopefully will set a new standard of interest for performances on campus.

Given difficult challenges, organizers put together a show which drew a substantial portion of the student body together on a weekend night – no small task. Facing funding and campus space challenges, they were able to throw together a good concert.