Crowds Aid B-Ball Chances

To the Editor:

In his latest sports column, “Now is the Time to Fill up CI Center” (THE HOYA, Feb. 7, 2006, B1) Chris Seneca wrongly downplays our home crowd’s ability to bring our basketball team to victory.

While I have no doubt our Hoyas have the talent and discipline to win games without a loud student-filled MCI Center, to assert our crowd and student support do not play an integral role is simply inaccurate. Seneca asks rhetorically, “Do we think that Ashanti can’t shoot without 20,000 pairs of eager eyes urging him on?” When I asked Ashanti the same question he responded frankly that it helps.

Other players have repeatedly gone on record emphasizing the tremendous advantage a great home crowd has given them – like the one Georgetown boasted during the Duke game and more recently during the Pittsburgh game.

Darrell Owens was quoted in the Washington Times saying, “Whenever we hear that crowd behind us, I think you get energy you didn’t know you had.. We go only as far as our fans go.”

It is not just our players who disagree with Seneca’s statement, but Coach John Thompson III as well, who said after the Duke game, “The energy you get off your fans definitely helps how we play, it gives our guys a boost.”

JT III then followed up this statement by sending an e-mail to the entire student body thanking them for their support at the Duke game and asking us to duplicate the environment for the game against Cincinnati.

Are these the actions and statements of people who don’t believe the crowd improves their play and chances of winning? Perhaps before Seneca denounces the role of the crowd in the success of our team he should ask our coach and players their opinion.

Michael Segner (COL ’08)

Hoya Blue Personnel Officer

Feb. 8, 2006