Debunking a Myth About Gun Control

TO THE EDITOR: I was disappointed to read a two-sentence endorsement of gun control in the editorial entitled (“Guns, Germs and Stealing,” THE HOYA, Dec. 7, 2007, A3). The article states, “If guns are made more easily accessible to all, the likelihood of their use against residents of D.C. can only rise.” However, this statement could not be further from the truth. There is documented evidence that shows allowing citizens to carry a firearm is a successful deterrent to violent crime. For instance, a program in Orlando designed to arm women against a growing rape crisis in 1966 had the benefit of reducing rape by 88 percent in one year, and a total of 13 percent in five years while the surrounding area saw an increase of 308 percent. Furthermore, nations that have a high rate of gun ownership have seen a decrease in crime. One such example is Switzerland. According to the BBC, the country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be at least two million publicly owned firearms, including about 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols. Yet, the crime rates in Switzerland are exceptionally low, and gun crime is neither as widespread nor as pervasive as that of the United States. Finally, limiting the access of guns will not stop criminals from obtaining guns. Illegal gun ownership is a problem that plagues the nation. The usage of guns will still continue even if handguns are completely banned, but such a ban would leave law-abiding citizens without a way to defend themselves. I’d like to leave you with the words of Thomas Jefferson: “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. … Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants. … For an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” atthew LaMagna (SFS ’11) Dec. 7, 2007