DeGioia, Mexican Ex-President Sign On to Educational Partnership

Former President of Mexico Vicente Fox signed an agreement with University President John J. DeGioia on Thursday, establishing a partnership between the university and Centro Fox, Fox’s nonprofit.

About 35 deans, faculty, staff and graduate students gathered in the Philodemic Room in Healy Hall yesterday to attend the ceremony. Under the agreement, Georgetown and Centro Fox will develop educational initiatives for multinational corporations.

According to a university press release, the School of Continuing Studies will help Centro Fox formulate programs to educate corporations about the cultures of countries with developing economies. Georgetown faculty will teach courses on campus and in Mexico, covering topics including diversity and corporate responsibility, the press release said.

Centro Fox, founded after Fox left office in 2006, is located in Fox’s home state of Guanajuato, Mexico and will act as a library, museum, education center and think tank.

Christopher Metzler, Associate Dean of Human Resources Management for the Masters of Professional Studies, played a central role in facilitating the agreement. He said that this resource will provide graduate students the opportunity to apply theories learned in classes to real world situations.

“Mexico is a gateway to Latin America, and having that partnership is an opportunity to more deeply engage [with those countries],” he said.

DeGioia agreed that the relationship would be beneficial for both parties.

“We welcome the opportunity to shape academic resources,” DeGioia said. “We’re grateful to Mr. Fox for lending his resources to this initiative.”

Fox added that this agreement was meaningful to him because it is crucial for the sustenance of democracy in Mexico and Latin America.

“This new relationship with Georgetown University will promote global leadership and democracy through unique cultural and educational opportunities,” Fox said.