Double Trouble: Hoyas Drop First Two

Double Trouble: Hoyas Drop First Two

Georgetown Loses to Savannah and Duke in Openers

By Stephen Owens Special to the Hoya

Georgetown baseball started off slow last weekend as they dropped their first two games of the year to Duke and Savannah College of Art and Design. Poor weather prevented the squad from getting a chance to notch its first win, as scheduled games against George Washington and Shenandoah were cancelled this week due to unplayable field conditions.

Opening day for the Hoyas brought with it a 4-0 loss to the Blue Devils last Saturday. Despite the loss, Senior Derek Pines pitched a complete game, striking out four while walking only three. Duke starting pitcher Chris Capuano responded with an impressive game of his own, yielding only six hits, striking out 10, and walking none on his way to a complete-game shutout. The Hoyas’ best scoring opportunity came in the top of the eighth when they stranded runners on second and third while Duke had just a two-run lead.

Individually on offense, the only noise for the Hoyas came from junior second baseman Josh Corman, who had two hits and swiped a pair of bases.

The second game of a two-game series in Durham last Sunday was cancelled due to an overnight malfunction with the field’s watering system.

On Monday, the Hoyas dropped their home opener to Savannah, 10-5. Savannah took a 6-0 lead by the fifth inning, capped off by a two-out, two-run home run by Savannah freshman Arian Arcala. The lead proved too large for the Hoyas to overcome.

In a game where it was unfortunate to be a pitcher, sophomore Randy Erwin surrendered nine hits and five runs in 4 1/3 innings, earning the loss. Three more Hoya pitchers combined to finish the game for Georgetown.

Senior right fielder Andrew Lotsy earned the distinction of driving in the Hoyas’ first run of the year while freshman first baseman Eric Sutton had a perfect day at the plate, going 3-for-3, reaching base four times and driving in a run. Senior left fielder Sean Mignona posted the most impressive numbers for Georgetown against Savannah, drilling three hits, driving in two, and scoring once.

Should the weather hold up, the Hoyas will play hosts to anhattan this afternoon at noon for a doubleheader and will then play cross-town Catholic University on Sunday at Harbin Field at 2 p.m.