Fall Classic Pits Unworthy Sox and Rocks

So after six postseason series – only one of which, the American League Championship Series, was even remotely interesting – and dozens of replays of the incredibly obnoxious Dane Cook “There’s only one.October!” advertisements, we finally have our World Series match-up.

In one corner stands the Boston Red Sox, juggernaut of the junior circuit and possessors of a positively fearsome pitching staff. In the opposite corner stand the media darling Colorado Rockies, winners of 21 of their last 22 games. Seems like a pretty interesting Series, right?

The upstart Rockies, a team founded back when I thought Ace of Base was cool, versus the patrician Red Sox, a team looking to supplant the Yankees for reckless spending and the will to dominate. A Fall Classic pitting the Red Sox, whose reliever Jon Lester made a complete recovery from cancer to return to the Sox bullpen this season, against the Rockies, whose minor league first-base coach Mike Coolbaugh was killed by a line drive earlier this season. What’s not to love?

Actually, a lot.

Not to be the Grinch of October, or worse yet, un-American, but for the first time in years, I’ll be foregoing the delight of watching World Series baseball. It’s not as though the Series will be boring – I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended with a game seven showdown in Fenway Park. Nor is my lack of interest in this Series borne out of personal reasons – though I’m still less than thrilled with the Rockies for their quick dismissal of my Phillies in the Divisional Series. No, I’ll be sitting this one out because, quite simply, it’s impossible for the impartial observer to choose a team to get behind. There’s something inherently wrong with a championship for either club.

For instance, imagine being a Cubs fan, and watching the Rockies win a pennant in their 15th season of existence while the Northsiders’ championship drought extends to an unthinkable 99 years. Despite the wealth of generosity in the Rockies organization – the team did vote a full playoff share to the Coolbaugh family – there’s something unsavory about a team with little history of its own winning a championship. Especially a team that plays half of its games a mile above sea level with some questionably thin air.

Baseball, the sport that cherishes its history more than any other, already had to suffer through two Florida Marlins championships and a win for the Rockies would just be intolerable.

Of course, it’s not like the Red Sox are a better option. Having shelled out a Steinbrenner-esque $103 million for Japanese “phenom” Daisuke Matsuzaka and his mediocre 15-12 record, it’s clear that the Red Sox have become the championship-purchasing monster that once was the New York Yankees.

And with the Patriots’ blistering start and the Celtics picking up Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, isn’t rooting for another Boston team like pulling for Bill Gates to win the lottery?

As for me, I’m not a big fan of the rich getting richer, nor am I a fan of infant franchises winning championships after less than two decades of existence.

So with apologies to the fine folks of Denver and Boston, I’ll be sitting this one out.

As an impartial observer, what’s really in it for me?

Brendan Roach is a sophomore in the College. He can be reached at roachthehoya.com. The Losing Streak appears every other Tuesday in HOYA SPORTS.