Fr. Wildes Named Loyola President

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya Wildes

The Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., was selected as the next President of Loyola University in New Orleans by the university’s Board of Trustees. Wildes, who sat on Loyola’s Board of Trustees for six years, will assume the position on Aug. 1.

Wildes, an associate dean in the College, a member of the Kennedy Institute of Ethics and a professor in the Philosophy and edicine departments, has been at Georgetown since 1993. He entered the Order of Jesuits in 1976 and was ordained in 1986. Wildes completed his final vows at Georgetown last month.

Wildes said he would miss the people at Georgetown. “I’ve had great faculty colleagues here and great students. But the great thing about life is that – especially with all sorts of improved communications – I’ll be able to maintain all these friendships at a distance,” Wildes said.

Loyola’s board of trustees chose Wildes over the Rev. Robert Niehoff, S.J., vice president for planning and budget and associate provost at San Francisco University. Niehoff, who was ordained in 1982, has worked for non-profit organizations and church and Jesuit administration.

Wildes brought strong teaching, research and academic experience while Niehoff offered administrative and budget experience.

Wildes, who has studied at the Weston School of Theology and obtained philosophy degrees from Rice and Fordham Universities, has authored several books on bioethics and the Catholic perspective on medicine.

Wildes said he looks forward to the job.

“Generally, if you look at the U.S. News and World Report rankings, Loyola New Orleans is a very strong school and would like to be even stronger,” he said. “They’re working to implement their strategic academic plan and so one of my main goals will be to help them realize that plan and achieve academically.”

Wildes and Niehoff were selected as finalists by a search committee which presented the candidates to the Board of Trustees. The trustees met Wednesday for three hours but were unable to come to a decision. After a second round of discussion that ended Thursday evening, they had settled on Wildes.

Former Loyola University President the Rev. Bernard P. Knoth, S.J., resigned in October as a result of allegations of sex abuse. Knoth was a former associate dean at Georgetown.

After Knoth’s resignation, the Rev. William J. Byron, S.J., also a former member of the Georgetown community who served as rector of the Jesuit community, served as Loyola’s interim university president.

Wildes’ selection continues a trend of Georgetown administrators assuming the presidency of other Jesuit universities. Last year, the Rev. Scott Pilarz, S.J., (CAS ’81) was named president of the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania.