Freshly Opened Bakery Keeps Pace With Latest Cupcake Fad

Ready to bite into a new trend?

Hello Cupcake is the latest to join the new designer-cupcake craze with the opening of its Dupont Circle store this past Monday.

“It is a whole experience here, cupcakes and quality; the atmosphere was meant to be a place with a really modern twist, an area for people to hang out and enjoy their cupcakes,” said Hello Cupcake Executive Pastry Chef and Owner Penny Karas. “I wanted people to think they were walking into a boutique and not a just a bakery.”

The shop’s over 20 types of cupcakes feature creamy hues, punchy neon accents, sprinkles and other adornments, with names ranging from “24 Carrot” to “Prima Donna.”

Cupcakes are available individually and in boxes of four, half a dozen and a dozen, and cost $3 each. They also offer advanced-order mini cupcakes by the dozen for a unique treat.

Another selling point: Hello Cupcake markets itself as environmentally friendly. According to Karas, all paper goods are eco-friendly and knives and forks are made of corn.

“We’re very happy,” Karas said, reflecting on the first several days of sales. During its opening week, Hello Cupcake had to institute a four-cupcake maximum due to the high demands for cupcakes.

“We’re hoping, once we get stocked up and get the kinks worked out in the kitchen, that everyone can get all they want,” Karas said.

In the past few years cupcakes have had a complete image makeover, starting with the opening of Magnolia Bakery on Bleecker Street in New York City back in 1996.

agnolia’s cupcakes were an instant success, even receiving the ultimate hipster endorsement, a spot on the TV show “Sex and the City.”

Several clones of Magnolia opened in New York, and soon after, Los Angeles followed the trend with the openings of so-called “cupcakeries” such as the star-studded Sprinkles in Beverly Hills.

“In the modern age, the cupcake may be more American than apple pie,” Sarah Kershaw of the New York Times said.

It is fitting then, that D.C. would eventually pick up on the new cupcake fad, with the openings of Baked & Wired on Thomas Jefferson Street just past the C&O Canal and Georgetown Cupcake, just a few blocks from campus on the street.

Over the past several months, it has not been uncommon to see customers pouring out the door of Georgetown Cupcake onto the Street.

Although it only opened Monday, Hello Cupcake has been receiving the same welcome reception in Dupont, with a line stretching around the block on opening day.

“Dupont Circle is a great combination of being close to a business area and a residential area. Also we are so close to the Metro,” Karas said.

The prime location and bustling business of the first week have kept Karas optimistic about her success as a specialty cupcake store in D.C.

“Yes, of course, we are certainly in the same marketplace, but I think there is room for everyone in this market,” Karas added.

Georgetown Cupcake isn’t worried about the new business in town, either.

“There are cupcake bakeries opening all around D.C.,” said Katherine Kallinis, who co-founded Georgetown Cupcake along with her sister. “We worked really hard to open [Georgetown Cupcake], and I know tons more are coming. I don’t think the opening of Hello Cupcake will affect our sales.”