From Russia, No Love

From Russia, No Love

Final Exhibition Ends With Hoyas Being Blown Out

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

In their last exhibition, the Georgetown women’s basketball team was shut down by the Russian Select Team, 81-53, before 429 spectators Tuesday evening in McDonough Arena.

Center Maria Stepanova had a double-double to lead the Russians – 12 points and 10 rebounds to go with five assists and two blocked shots. Forward Diana Gustilina led the Russians in scoring with 16 points. Forward Natalya Vodopyanova added 11 points and nine rebounds.

Despite 5-for-14 shooting, sophomore guard Katie Smrcka-Duffy notched 16 points for the Hoyas in the defeat, and forward Corey Borgman had 10 (3-for-9 shooting). Sophomore guard imi Ritter added eight points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals in 19 minutes.

But all in all it was a miserable performance for the Hoyas, who face no easy task in their season opener, when they travel across Rock Creek Monday evening to battle 16th-ranked George Washington. The larger Russian team out-rebounded the Hoyas 53-31 and had eight blocked shots to the Hoyas’ one.

Besides that, the Hoyas did not help themselves by struggling from the floor, making only 15 of 63 shots for a lowly 23.8 percent, including a 2-for-14 performance from senior guard elba Chambers. In fact, no Hoya shot better than Smrcka-Duffy’s 36-percent mark.

It was an ominous sign for the season, as Georgetown is trying to rebound from a 1997-1998 campaign in which the Hoyas finished 9-19, including a 5-13 Big East mark.

The game with the Russian Select Team was quickly out of hand for Georgetown. After Chambers scored the first basket of the game for the Hoyas on a steal and transition layup, Russian Select followed with the next six points.

After Smrcka-Duffy made a layup to make Russia’s lead 6-4, the Russians went on a 16-3 run to take a 22-7 advantage with 9:51 remaining in the first half. Georgetown would get no closer than 12 points for the rest of the game as Russian Select headed to the break with a 42-23 advantage.

The Hoyas’ game with the Colonials at the Smith Center begins 7 p.m. Monday. George Washington was the winner when these two teams met last season, taking a 83-62 decision at cDonough Arena.