From the Editor

To our readers:

Welcome to Georgetown University and welcome to The Hoya, the university’s leading news publication.

The Hoya has chronicled life on the Hilltop since 1920, making it the university’s oldest newspaper. With a press run of 10,000 and twice-weekly publication, it is also the largest and timeliest campus publication. Through our news, opinion, sports and entertainment sections, The Hoya sets out every Tuesday and Friday to keep you up-to-date on what’s happening both on and off campus, and to tell you what you need to know to make the most of your four years here.

The Hoya is entirely student-run, and we’re depending on new and returning students to keep it that way – in reporting, photography, design, editing, layout, advertising, business and marketing. If you want to inform the Georgetown community by reporting on campus, interview the national leaders who make speeches at Georgetown, take photos of Hoya athletes from the sidelines, review movies and plays or simply write about an issue that matters to you, then join The Hoya.

But The Hoya is more than writers and photographers – from the production of the newspaper, which includes graphic design, layout and Web design, to the business and advertising operations, we offer students the chance to gain practical experience in a range of disciplines. The Hoya editorial staff uses its campus journalism experience as a stepping stone to jobs and internships with the Washington Post, New York Times and Los Angeles Times, among others. With a $250,000 budget, our business office offers paid positions to students looking to help run a successful business.

This year we plan to build on our coverage and improve our product in many ways. And to be an effective newspaper, we need you. Our job is to accurately reflect the views and experience of all Hoyas and we need a diverse staff that represents the spectrum of Georgetown University in order to do this. No previous experience is necessary, only a desire to be part of our team.

This will also be an exciting time to work for the newspaper, as we move forward with many new initiatives, including the launch of our entertainment section in a tabloid-format . This change will greatly enhance The Guide, making it easier and more fun to read, while also expanding our ability to present in-depth features about arts and entertainment on the Hilltop and throughout the District.

The Hoya will also sponsor its fourth annual journalism conference this fall.

We also want to make new efforts this year to ensure the accuracy and balance of our reporting. To that end, it is important that we hear from our readers, and the column at right on this page will appear in every issue to help advertise different ways to communicate with the editorial staff. Not all mistakes may merit a printed correction, but even those that do not should be brought to the attention of the managing editor. And if you read something that you have an opinion about, we encourage you to submit a letter to the editor or viewpoint.

I encourage you to come to one of our open houses, from 4-6 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 30, and from 1-3 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 4 at our offices in Leavey 421. Anyone is welcome to drop by our office anytime to see for yourself how the newspaper operates, and an editor is always a phone call away at 687-3415.

This year promises to be an exciting one for Georgetown, and we look forward to bringing you the story every Tuesday and Friday.

Michael Kurdyla Editor in Chief