Georgetown Earns Win in First Conference Tilt

As far as Head Coach Gordie Ernst is concerned, Georgetown’s brutally tough non-conference schedule has a silver lining.

The latest Goliath on the men’s schedule was nationally ranked Old Dominion (12-4). Georgetown dropped the contest 6-1 on Friday, but facing the high-caliber competition paid off for the Hoyas (8-6, 1-0), who opened Big East play on Sunday with a commanding 6-1 victory over Rutgers (1-5, 0-1).

“When I was making the schedule last spring, I tried to fit in really, really tough opponents before Big East matches,” Ernst said. Georgetown has played powerhouses aryland, Cornell and Navy so far, all with the goal of improving and preparing for Big East play. The Hoyas will play Clemson four days before the Big East Championship to tune up for the tournament that Georgetown went 0-3 in last season for an eighth-place finish.

“It really just shows us where we want to be as a team. It gives us something to work towards, something that’s very close and within our reach, but reminds us what the best teams are doing out there and what we need to get there,” freshman Will Lowell said.

Lowell and freshman Anthony Tan clinched the doubles point with an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles . Georgetown would carry the momentum from the doubles matches into the singles, clinching the contest before Rutgers could win a singles match.

“It was a full team effort and everyone really showed up, right from the start with the doubles,” Lowell said. “It’s great to start off on the right foot in the Big East – get a win to set the tone.”

The Hoyas won No. 2 through No. 6 in straight sets, highlighted by junior Ted Tywang’s 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 6. Tywang also won the squad’s only match on Friday against Old Dominion.

Junior co-captain Etienne Paris clinched the dual match for Georgetown with a 6-2, 6-1 win at third-flight singles.

The wins provided Paris and Tywang with an unusual chance for revenge. Last year when the Scarlet Knights beat the Hoyas 5-2, the two played No. 1 and No. 2 singles and found themselves on the losing end of scores eerily similar to Sunday’s of 6-0, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-0, respectively.

“These guys have a lot of pride,” Ernst said. “Guys like Ted Tywang, Etienne Paris and [senior] Bert Baggio are upperclassmen who have been through some losses. They have a chip on their shoulder.”

Tywang, Tan and junior co-captain Jeff Schnell all won both their doubles and singles match on the day. It was the fourth time this season that Tywang won two matches in one contest, and he leads the team with 14 total wins on the year.

Georgetown’s lone loss on the day was at No. 1 singles, where Lowell went down 6-3, 6-7(3), 15-13. Ernst noted that Lowell committed only five unforced errors while he dug himself out of a 5-0 hole in the second set.

On the women’s side, the Hoyas’ match against Rutgers on Saturday was moved indoors to Yates Field House due to inclement weather. After a 6-0 loss Friday to Old Dominion, Georgetown (2-11, 0-3) dropped a 4-2 match to the Scarlet Knights (5-9, 2-4).

Due to space constraints, the doubles matches were scheduled for after the singles matches, but became unnecessary after the Scarlett Knights clinched the contest with four singles wins.

Juniors Steph Cohen and Liz Winokur recorded the Hoyas’ two wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, respectively. Cohen is responsible for half of Georgetown’s singles, wins with six on the season, while Winokur has recorded three of the Hoyas’ 12.

Sophomore Kelsey Darnell lost the deciding match 7-6, 6-4 at fifth-flight singles, but Ernst said that she played her best tennis of the spring and was not disappointed.

“Lower in the lineup we’re still making too many errors. We’re giving away too many free points to good teams,” Ernst said. “But we’re really improving.”

Both the men and women will be back in action tomorrow when they play host to Mount St. Mary’s at 2:30 p.m. The two teams then travel to Connecticut on Saturday and St. John’s on Sunday for two crucial Big East matches.

“This weekend is huge for the Big East,” Ernst said. “We are trying to put ourselves in the best position for seeding in the tournament.”