Georgetown Falls Twice in First Home Tourney

Georgetown bounced back from a rocky start to the weekend to capture their final match of the Georgetown Classic at McDonough Gymnasium with a 3-1 win over Iona on Saturday. The Blue and Gray improved to 2-8 on the season while the Gaels fell to 2-6.

“To get a victory in that last match was hugely important for the team,” Head Coach Arlisa Hagan Williams said. “Our players have worked so hard, and over the course of this tournament we tried a bunch of lineups and by the end we definitely built confidence.”

Freshman middle blocker Vanessa Dorismond keyed the Hoyas with a breakout performance, and her .636 attack percentage lifted the team, Williams said.

“She is extremely intelligent, but she has had to catch up to the speed of the college game,” she said.

Sophomore outside hitters Dana Dumas and Jessica Hardy were also key contributors, both recording double doubles for the match with 30 kills and 24 digs between the two of them. Overall, Georgetown registered 65 kills to Iona’s 48, and also outdug the Gaels, 57-51.

The first set of the match featured a tremendous momentum shift for the Hoyas. The team trailed by eight points in game one (21-13) before the Blue and Gray reeled off three straight points. Among these, a kill by junior middle blocker Katherine Niesen, a Dumas service ace and another kill by Niesen pulled the Hoyas within five, 21-16. Amidst shouts and chants from the Hoya Blue faithful in attendance, Georgetown took 11 of the next 14 points to capture the lead 27-24 and force Iona to call a timeout.

However, Iona could not turn it around as Dorismond recorded a block, Hardy tallied her eighth kill and Dumas delivered the backbreaker to give Georgetown game one 30-26.

In the second match Iona fired 14 kills and boasted a .667 attack percentage to knot the set score at one.

Game three was dominated by Dumas as she swept from end to end on the court swatting the ball with furious authority. “I got into a zone out there. I was excited because this one of our first home matches. There were lots of fans out there and we wanted to win our first home game,” she said.

After a particularly impressive spike by Dumas to make it 16-14, the Hoyas began to create some separation. Georgetown increased its lead to 21-17 on a kill from Niesen, and the Gaels called their second timeout of the match at 23-17.

The Blue and Gray, however, pushed forward with three straight kills from Dorismond, Hardy and sophomore outside hitter Kortney Robinson to make it 28-19. Kills from Hardy and Dorismond cemented game three in favor of Georgetown, 30-21.

In the fourth and final set, the Hoyas got off to a fast start with a 7-3 lead. The Gaels rallied back to get within a point, but that was as close as Iona would get as Georgetown sailed to a 30-22 set win.

“All the details just meshed against Iona,” Dumas said. “We tried lots of lineups, and I think we really finished this match well.” Dumas represented the Hoyas’ on the 2007 Georgetown Classic all-tournament team

Earlier in the day the, Blue and Gray suffered a 3-1 setback to Towson (3-7). Niesen led the Hoyas with a .391 percentage and 12 kills. Junior setter Caitlin Boland also had a strong performance with a .375 percentage, 37 assists, and four kills.

Georgetown resumes play today in Baltimore as they battle Morgan State at 7 p.m. The Bears have lost all seven matches they have played this year and twice in their last three matches have given up two-games-to-none leads.