Georgetown Looks for Win at Stony Brook

Glimpses.

So far for the Hoya faithful, that’s all there’s been of the highly-touted defense and flashy offense that people were hoping to find on the Hilltop in 2005.

And so, as Georgetown (1-2, 1-1 Patriot) takes to the road again, this time to oppose Stony Brook (1-1, 1-1 Northeast), the Hoyas look to turn those brief periods of hope into a full 60-minute effort.

“I think there’ve been glimpses,” said Head Coach Bob Benson. “We had 200 yards of offense in the first half [against Brown]. . There were glimpses that we can move the ball.”

Last week, as Benson hinted, the Hoyas showed some signs of life on offense in the first half. Junior quarterback Nick Cangelosi rushed 12 times for 85 yards and, though he only threw for 60 yards, he did not turn the ball over.

After some initial difficulty moving the ball, Georgetown made two consecutive trips to the red zone. But in what became a disturbing first-half trend, the Hoyas came away empty handed. With one second to go in the half, Georgetown senior kicker Brad Scoffern – who missed a first-half field goal from 26 yards – finally put the Hoyas on the board with a 39-yard field goal.

Defensively, the Brown game offered some promise. Senior all-American defensive end Michael Ononibaku chipped in 10 tackles, while senior defensive back Jason Carter had nine. And, after Brown senior running back Nick Hartigan ran over the Hoya defense on Brown’s first two possessions, the Georgetown defense put together a string of clutch defensive stops.

The Hoyas were down just 10-3 at half against one of the Ivy League’s premier squads. A glimpse of promise.

Ultimately, victory against Brown was not to be, as the defense tired and the offense slowed, due in part to a sternum injury that forced Cangelosi to miss the second half, replaced by freshman Ben Hostetler. The junior quarterback is all set to return this Saturday, as the Hoyas will look to get back on the winning track against Stony Brook.

Though the Hoyas are coming into the game somewhat deflated, the Seawolves hardly have momentum on their side. Stony Brook lost 55-0 a week ago to a solid Hofstra team. Stony Brook’s lone win came against Bucknell in the Seawolves’ season opener – and Bucknell is the team Georgetown defeated 21-19 in its own opener.

Stony Brook’s attack is highlighted by senior running back Rod Williams, who ran for 128 yards in the season opener against Bucknell. Still, Benson said he is prepared for anything.

“Stopping the run is always the key,” Benson said. “I like Williams. They also have a good passing attack – they are very spread out.”

According to Stony Brook Head Coach Sam Kornhauser, his team must “control the ball, not give up cheap touchdowns and play great on special teams [to defeat Georgetown].”

It seems Kornhauser has also caught glimpses of the team Georgetown can be. “I am impressed with Georgetown offense,” Kornhauser said. “They have a big strong line, a quarterback than can run and throw, backs that are physical and a receiving group that blocks and catches. They have a lot of weapons and are dangerous.”

Kornhauser was full of praise for the Hoyas, continuing, “You have to look at their opponents and not read into the score . I believe their defense is a good unit. Their line is strong, linebackers are tough and run well and secondary comprised of good athletes.”

If the Hoyas are to have more success this week, they will need to turn trips into the red zone into points. Benson was adamant about this, saying that maintaining organization and composure is key to optimizing red zone success and will be addressed at practice.

Coming into the season, Georgetown was counting on the defense to be the ballast that steadied the ship. Instead, the defense has allowed 82 points in the last two weeks and looks decidedly suspect.

“We’ve got to come and start games better,” Benson said. “We’ve given up points in the first quarter of all three games. .We have to trust each other and start to play together as a unit.”

“When [we] do that,” he added, “[we] will be the best defense in the league.”

To win against Stony Brook, the bottom line, according to Benson, is that the team needs a great week of practice. In Benson’s eyes, focus in this week’s practices will be the key to returning to the Hilltop 2-2. “That’s where we have to be,” he said.

“We are very optimistic,” Benson said. “The good news is that there is potential to get better and be a good football team. . Our job as coaches is to reach the potential.” Indeed, whether it was the second half of the Bucknell game or the first half against Brown, Georgetown football fans have been afforded a few fleeting glimpses of the success Benson’s squad is capable of achieving.

Saturday at 2 p.m. in Stony Brook, N.Y., the Hoyas will try not for glimpses of success, but for 60 consecutive minutes of sound football, and eventually, a victory.