Georgetown Needs to Rethink Public Safety

To the Editor:

It isn’t shocking that a Georgetown senior would be walking home from the library late on a Sunday night. What is shocking and upsetting is that he would be brutally attacked just a few blocks off campus. And what is even more disturbing is that his attackers demanded nothing, but rather assaulted him without reason or provocation (“Students Report Knife Assaults,” The Hoya, Nov. 8, 2005, A1).

Yet this past Sunday night’s crime is only the latest in a string of assaults and armed robberies within blocks of campus, and was treated by the university as all preceding crimes have been – with a broadcast e-mail complete with a few trite suggestions which have proven insufficient.

After so many attacks in a single semester, crime is no longer just the problem of those students walking off campus at night. It’s time for the university to take some serious action.

It is the university’s responsibility to keep the blocks immediately off campus safe, especially in light of the fact that nearly 1,000 students were denied on-campus housing eligibility, forcing more than half of the rising senior class to look off campus for housing. That is a quasi-nightmare in itself, even without the worries of being violently attacked walking home from the library.

Despite the Department of Public Safety’s well-intentioned suggestions, walking alone at night is all but inevitable, not to mention the fact that pairs of students have been accosted at gun point nearly as frequently as those walking alone. Not only does Georgetown need to completely rethink public safety, but the administration needs to act now, before the next attack proves tragic.

Lauren Tanick (COL ’07) Nov. 7, 2005