Georgetown Passes Hall

MEN’S SOCCER Georgetown Passes Hall By Chris Cariello Hoya Staff Writer

Tim Llewellyn/The Hoya Freshman forward Kaiser Chowdry was part of the Hoyas’ offensive dominance Saturday.

The Georgetown men’s soccer team dominated play against the Seton Hall Pirates on Saturday on senior day at home on Harbin field en route to a 4-2 victory. The win, in part due to their best offensive performance of the season, gave the Hoyas their 10th straight Big East Tournament berth and pushes their record to 8-8-1 overall and 5-3-1 in conference play.

Head Coach Keith Tabatznik called his offense, “dangerous,” and said, “We were dynamic and explosive all day.”

The Hoyas pressured the Pirates’ goal from the outset of the game, potently attacking until they finally broke through for the games first goal in the 37th minute. Senior midfielder Andy Sole took a pass from freshman midfielder Trevor Goodrich and beat the Seton Hall goalkeeper to score his second career goal. Senior defender Michael Gross also got credited with an assist on the goal, playing a well-positioned ball to Goodrich in order to begin the attack. The score remained 1-0 in favor of the Hoyas for the remainder of the first half.

The one goal lead was quickly extended by the Hoyas in the 55th minute of the game when senior forward Kenny Owens snuck a rebound into the goal off a blast by sophomore midfielder Carl Skanderup. Owens found himself alone in front of the goal and he quickly changed directions and got a foot on the ball before junior goalkeeper Efren Aguirre could cover it up. The goal gave Georgetown a commanding 2-0 lead at the time, however they would need more goals to earn the victory.

That lead lasted only six minutes as Seton Hall put together a quick counter attack with junior midfielder Vincent Scerbo on the receiving end in the 61st minute. Scerbo collected a through ball from senior forward Greg Strohmann, dribbled past junior Hoya goalkeeper Brian O’Hagan, and tapped the ball into the net.

The Hoyas remained determined, however, trying to expand their lead rather than preserve it. Their resolve paid off as they gave themselves some breathing room by scoring their third goal in the 69th minute. Freshman forward Kaiser Chowdhry tracked down a ball on the right side line, beat two men, and lofted a perfect cross to senior forward Nate Port who headed the ball into the lower left corner of the goal for the eventual game winner.

The Hoyas, recognizing their ability to attack the Pirate defense effectively, scored an insurance goal, almost a mirror image of their third, to put finish the pirates. Chowdhry, just after missing a breakaway opportunity, once again gathered the ball on the right sideline, made a brilliant move to beat his defender, and crossed the ball on the ground to Port who finished with ease for his 11th goal of the season.

Port, the Hoyas’ leading scorer, earned Big East Offensive Player of the Week honors for the second time this season for his goals in the Seton Hall and University of Pennsylvania games. “Nate has the ability to score goals. He seems to always be in the right place, which is half of scoring,” said Tabatznik.

Tabatznik was very pleased with his teams’ offensive performance and how they applied to the game what they had worked on in practice.

“We worked a lot on crossing and finishing in practice and I think we spread the field very well. We were able to get our playmakers like Kenny [Owens] the ball with space so that they could make something happen.”

The Hoyas still have one conference game on the road, against Pittsburgh on Nov. 5, though they have clinched a postseason berth. Tabatznik stressed that it is important for the Hoyas to get the victory against Pitt because a winning record, seeding and their winning streak is at stake. After the Pitt game, Big East Tournament play begins and Tabatznik thinks the tournament is wide open.

“We are very proud that we made the tournament this year in what is the toughest conference in the country. There are eight teams in the tournament and if you put the names in the hat and pulled out one to be the winner, none of the teams would be considered a fluke. Any team can win this year and we are definitely planning on being that team.”

2001 Men’s Soccer Team Page Schedule Roster