Georgetown Plays Close But Still Drops Two

By Ryan Mrazik |Special to The Hoya

Ask the Georgetown field hockey team’s first-year Head Coach Lori Carroll to describe this year’s squad in one word, and she replies, “Molding.”

It may sound a bit cryptic at first, but after seeing the team play, it’s easy to see exactly what she is talking about.

Led by senior midfielders and team captains Susan Stewart and Jori Keating, this year’s team has proven themselves capable of keeping up with the best teams in the area.

Carroll described their last game, against the University of Richmond on Sunday, as a prime example of how this team is “molding.” The Hoyas, with strong play from junior midfielders Caitlin McLean and Sarah Oglesby and freshman goalie Jessica Herring, were able to hold the opposition to just two goals. The offense couldn’t get the ball in the net, however, as the Spiders won, 2-0.

In last week’s game against St. Joseph’s, the team was able to stage a comeback and after falling behind 2-0 in the first half. The Hoyas forced an overtime period by scoring three goals in the second half but St. Joseph’s emerged as the victor, 4-3.

“The talent is there,” Carroll said. “They’re good athletes, and once they realize that, we’re going to win a lot of games.”

Carroll is a first-year coach at Georgetown, but her experience reaches beyond the Hilltop. Over the last three years, she was head coach at American University, which she led to a 43-18 record. Before her tenure at American, Carroll was an assistant coach at James Madison University, where she helped the team reach the NCAA Final Four in women’s field hockey. She interviewed for the head coaching position at Georgetown last spring, and since then, she said, has been looking forward to this season with eager anticipation.

This year’s Georgetown team is smaller, both in numbers and in size, than most other teams the Hoyas will play this season, and only five of their 11 starters are seniors. But Carroll said that that will not keep the Hoyas from being competitive.

“The talent’s definitely all there,” Carroll said. “There’s not a piece of the puzzle missing.”

With its focus on this weekend’s tournament at the University of Maryland, the team gears up for another week of practice. So far, the team has been a second-half team, playing catch-up after lackluster first halves.

Carroll said, “Once we can focus on being a 70-minute team, we’re gonna be great.”