Georgetown: Simply Amazing

Friday, May 19, 2006 Lindsay Anderson/The Hoya Jack Pfeiffer

When I was accepted into Georgetown my father immediately proclaimed it to be the greatest thing to ever happen to our family and the crew coach who had been recruiting me likened it to an act of God. I didn’t fully understand my father’s or the coach’s sentiments then, but I have come to feel that Georgetown is amazing! Here atop the hill, with her steeples and spires gleaming, the swift Potomac’s lovely daughter has a beautiful campus and great academic programs. But the really amazing thing Georgetown offers to her students, faculty and community is each other. At my father’s urging I made it my goal to make as many nice, smart and talented friends as I could. I wore my name tag for nearly the whole first week of school, and shook hands with anyone that would come near me. I might have ostracized myself that first week, but luckily meeting smart, talented and ambitious people turned out to be an easy task at Georgetown. Georgetown provides abundant opportunities for us to make friends. I met my roommate of three years while working at The Tombs. I made friendships that will last a lifetime in classes, on the river with the crew team and while volunteering with Hoya Outreach Programs and Education. Also within my freshman year, I found that the best way to meet people was to get involved, and Georgetown had tons of clubs and activities from which to choose. The activism and ambition shown by students in our class throughout the time we have been at Georgetown has amazed me. Hilltop Consultants, College Democrats and College Republicans rallied together at the Capitol against House legislation that would decrease spending on student aid. Students Taking Action Now: Darfur, a nationwide organization founded at Georgetown, organized a national convention to launch their Sponsor-a-Camp initiative. H*yas for Choice has worked to establish free speech as an equal right for all students on this campus, calling on President John J. DeGioia to live up to a commitment he made in 2003 when he gave a speech entitled “Principles of Speech and Expression at Georgetown” by allowing all student groups equal representation on campus. “If you can’t debate controversial ideas here, where can it be done?” DeGioia said. The Solidarity Coalition, a student-run social justice organization took a hard stance for Georgetown workers’ right to a living wage, pressuring the university by publicizing the issue. HOPE, Sursum Corda, D.C. Reads, After School Kids and many other groups volunteer daily out of the Center for Social Justice. They provide services to many underprivileged communities throughout the Washington area. Whether or not these Georgetown organizations impacted the world, nation or local Washingtonians during our time here, they certainly had an impact on those students who got involved with them. To the students and administrators that led and organized the Georgetown clubs, events, service groups and sports teams – thank you. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. To those that took the time to get involved I hope you had as much fun, got as much out of it and made as many friends as I did. To those that don’t feel that they were involved enough, there will be other opportunities and I recommend you take them. So if you decide to get involved, and make it out to future Georgetown events, I will be the guy in the name tag. Come say, “Hello.” Jack Pfeiffer is a senior in the College.