Georgetown Struggles Again

Strong winds blew away the Georgetown sailing teams’ chances for elite finishes this weekend, as both the elements and the competition overwhelmed the coed and women’s teams.

The coed sailing squad finished 11th of 19 teams in this weekend’s Truxtun Umsted Intersectional at the U.S. Naval Academy, while the women placed fifth out of 13 teams at the St. ary’s Women’s Intersectional in Maryland.

“I’m a little disappointed in our performance,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said. “We won the Trux last year, and we won it by a lot.”

Callahan said he expected a top five finish, and a top 10 result at the very least, but noted that the Hoyas faced strong competition in the Truxtun Umsted Intersectional, which comprised four divisions with nine races in each. Georgetown, ranked ninth in the nation, was one of 11 top 20 teams in the nation among the 19 contenders.

“In order to win a four-division regatta, you need to do well in all divisions,” Callahan said. “We only did well in one.”

The Hoyas’ lone strong performance came in the B division, with senior skipper J.B. Turney’s boat coming in second place. Turney’s crew, made up of sophomores Carly Chamberlain and Sprague Brodie and junior Zander Farkas, turned in one first-place and one second-place result apiece while finishing in the top half of the field in all nine of its races for the team’s highest division result of the regatta.

Overall, Georgetown finished 35 points behind the 10th-place finishers from Charleston and 40 points behind the ninth-place Dartmouth Big Green. All of Georgetown’s C division finishes were in double digits, and the squad came in 16th place in the division. Callahan said his C and D division boats were too light and hindered by strong winds, but said that the team should have done better.

The Hoyas finished ninth in the A division and 11th in the D division to round out the regatta.

On the women’s side, Georgetown finished fifth in a field of 13 that included 10 squads ranked in the top 15 in the nation and eight of the best nine teams in the country.

Despite poor weather, the Hoyas’ A division boat posted two first-place and two second-place finishes in the regatta, which featured two divisions with 13 races in each. Junior Blaire Herron and sophomore Brooke Crawford turned in a solid fifth-place performance in the A division.

“Blaire got fifth in her division, but she can do better than that,” Callahan said. “We need to challenge her because she is capable of coming in first.”

Georgetown ranked as high as third in the overall standings early on in the regatta but was dealt a blow when a last-place finish in the eighth race of the B division knocked the Hoyas down to sixth place overall. Righting the ship, Georgetown moved into fifth place after the 10th race and would remain there for the rest of the regatta.

The Hoyas will hit the waters again this weekend, as half the squad heads to the U.S. Naval Academy for the Owen Trophy Regatta. The other half will be at the Old Dominion Team Race.