GU Back on Track

GU Back on Track

Hoyas Trash Wagner, Blank UCF

By Eric Kim Hoya Staff Writer

Last week, the Georgetown women’s soccer team was left carrying an inauspicious 1-3 record after losing to feeble opponents. However, those demons were exorcised this past weekend, as Georgetown shut out Central Florida, 1-0, and romped Wagner, 12-0.

On Sunday, the Hoyas took their momentum from Friday’s 12-0 win to the Naval Academy and registered their second straight shutout, 1-0, this time against a tougher opponent, Central Florida, an NCAA tournament qualifier from last year.

However, the score is deceiving, as Georgetown dominated the game, clicking on both the offensive and defensive cylinders.

“Though it was a very hot day, the girls did everything they could to win the game,” Head Coach Diane Drake said. “I’d credit the defense as well senior forward Liz Delgado and sophomore forward Karen Ostrander in attack.”

The Hoyas got the winning goal early in the game, as Delgado headed in a cross pass from senior defender Lindsey Steiger at the 6:59 mark.

“I knew that if we scored within the first few minutes, they would fold,” Drake said.

Georgetown continued to bombard Central Florida with its attack, as they took 16 shots. However, unlike the Wagner game, the defense played a key part in preventing any goals.

“[Freshman midfielder] Alissa Conlow, who had a tremendous rookie performance, and [sophomore defender] Casey Hoffman were incredibly composed on defense,” Drake said. “Lindsay Steiger, one of our captains, had her best performance to date.”

Though Central Florida had nine shots on goal, most of them were from far out, 30 or 40 yards away.

“They [Golden Knights] had some wishful-thinking shots but in truth, they never really threatened us at one time,” Drake said. “We put 90 minutes together and that’s why we won.”

The Hoyas came alive on Friday against Wagner as the offense fired 41 shots on the Seahawk goalie and registered 12 goals. eanwhile, the Georgetown defense seemed to be stranded on an island; rarely were there any opposing players on their side of the field and Wagner was not able to attempt a single shot on goal.

“We knew the opponent wasn’t as strong as the other teams on our schedule and we wanted to work on different ways to find the back of the net,” Drake said. “Liz Delgado and Karin Ostrander helped lead an impressive attack.”

The scoring barrage began at the 6:20 mark when Ostrander scored her fourth goal of the season off a pass from senior forward elissa Coleman.

Less than three minutes later, Coleman got on the board by way of a Delgado pass. After a seven-minute goal drought, the Hoyas began firing away. Delgado scored unassisted at the 15:17 mark. Then came goals by Coleman (20:34), sophomore midfielder Emily iller (25:55), Ostrander (29:36), Delgado (33:40) and Ostrander again at the 35:54 mark. When the first-half buzzer sounded, Ostrander had herself a hat trick, while Delgado had two goals and four assists.

For her outstanding three goal, four assist performance over the weekend, Delgado was named Big East Co-Offensive Player of the Week.

With the game in the books, Drake gave all 26 of her players some playing time. Last year’s starting goalkeeper, junior Shereena Chang, made her first appearance of the season at the start of the second half. Chang, who missed the first four games due to a chipped bone in her ankle, faced no shots but got some much-needed minutes.

“Shereena needs to get to 100 percent before she can play full-time,” Drake said. “[Senior goalkeeper] Emily Main is playing well and Shereena’s only at 70 percent of her capabilities.”

Even with their substitutes, the Hoyas’ offense stayed strong. At the 56:15 mark of the game, junior defender Alyson Smith scored unassisted to extend the lead to nine. The Hoyas put three more points on the scoreboard with goals from junior midfielder Audrey Springer (61:52), Natalie Giugno (62:40) and Kristen Dubay (69:30) as Wagner was finally put out of its misery.

“We were on, the opponent wasn’t as strong, and we attacked their weaknesses well,” Drake said. “The win also served as the catalyst that pushed us into Sunday’s game. It emotionally rejuvenated us.”

With the two wins over the weekend, the Hoyas improved their record to 3-3 and next face St. John’s Saturday on Harbin Field.

Related Links

Women’s Soccer Schedule

Women’s Soccer Roster