GU, Belfast Forge School Partnership

Special to The Hoya Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A new research partnership between Georgetown and Queen’s University in Belfast, Northern Ireland could give students and faculty greater opportunities for international research on the British Isles. The new partnership was formalized during a signing ceremony at the Washington, D.C., home of David Manning, the British ambassador to the United States, said Stacy Hope, communications director for the British embassy. University President John J. DeGioia and Queen’s University Vice Chancellor Peter Gregson were both present. In a speech delivered before leaving for Washington, D.C., Gregson said that the union between the two schools is necessary to better prepare academically in an age of globalization. “This will be a very special occasion in the history of both universities,” he said in anticipation of the signing. “It will help forge a connection between our two institutions which will benefit the research communities and current and future generations of students and staff at both Georgetown and Queen’s.” Gregson also stressed the importance of international research partnerships for bolstering the reputations of both universities and their positive impact in areas such as economic growth and quality of life. Erik Smulson, assistant vice president of communications, said that a wide variety of academic initiatives will result from the partnership between Georgetown and Queen’s University. Among them are programs involving cancer research and courses on politics, human rights and creative writing. One joint effort by the universities is the creation of an Irish studies curriculum, and Georgetown expects to establish a global center in Washington, D.C. within the next few months. “These initiatives will span across the institutions and promote academic excellence through research, exchanges, joint academic programs and conferences,” Smulson said. Gregson related the strengthening relationship between Georgetown and Queen’s to prominent international partnerships like those between Cambridge University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and between Trinity College and the University of Notre Dame. “This partnership is an important step towards enriching the student experience and enhancing the curriculum and research profile at both universities,” Gregson said in his speech. The university plans call for a yearly seminar named after former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell (D-Maine) (LAW ’60), which will focus on issues of law and politics, according to the Queen’s University Office of Communications. Georgetown’s Lombardi Cancer Center and Queen’s Center for Cancer Research and Cell Biology have already formed a partnership for joint medical research. The partnership will be further cemented next year during a Smithsonian Festival event on the National Mall, which will showcase some joint projects between the two universities.