GU Bogies Weekend Matches

The Georgetown men’s golf team traveled to Williamsburg, Va., to compete in the William and Mary Invitational Monday, but came away disappointed, as they shot a combined score of 309 in the first round, dead last among the 20 competing schools.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday, the women’s golf team flew to Santa Ana, Calif., to play in the Anteater Invitational, where they finished fifth out of eight,

For the men, the second round of the tournament was rained out, eliminating the Hoyas’ chances to make up ground. The tournament’s winner, Liberty University, shot a cumulative 292, edging Maryland by 1 stroke.

Georgetown seniors David Erickson and Matt Myers led the Hoyas by shooting 4-over-par 75, good enough for 30th place overall. Junior Matt Busa, sophomore Tim Moynihan, and freshman Tim Hager also contributed to the team’s effort.

Next week, Georgetown will participate in the East Carolina Invitational in Greenville, N.C.

In the women’s competition, Brigham Young University took first place, with UC-Irvine in second, five shots behind. Georgetown, thought just fifth, was ahead of East Coast rival Dartmouth. The Hoyas improved as the even went on, shooting a cumulative 317 on the final round – the third-best round of the day.

Senior Nicole Hayashi carried the Hoyas, shooting a 238 for the three-round tournament, which earned her a tie for sixth place. Senior Christy Larrimore, freshman Chelsea Curtis, sophomore Jenna Winokur and junior Maggie Ward rounded out the squad.

Next weekend, the Georgetown women play host to the Hoya Invitational at the Raspberry Falls Golf Club in Leesburg, Va.