GU Defeats Rutgers for Fifth Straight Win

Hoyas Continue to Lead ECAC With Unbeatable 6-0 Record

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team closed out its inaugural season in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference with an unblemished record.

The Hoyas cruised to a 14-9 victory over the Scarlet Knights in Piscataway, N.J., Saturday afternoon. Georgetown took a 9-2 lead at the halftime break after a seven-goal scoring run to finish the second quarter.

“I thought our guys did a nice job, we played a good first half,” Head Coach Dave Urick said. “We scrapped around pretty well and that effort plays out on the perimeter.”

The win was the Hoyas’ fifth-straight, improving their record to 11-1 for the season. Georgetown retained its unblemished record in the ECAC, improving to 6-0.

Senior attackman Scott Urick led the Georgetown offensive assault with four goals. Sophomore midfielder Steve Dusseau found the back of the net three times and senior attackman Andy Flick and junior midfielder Mike Henehan each scored twice and assisted on a pair of goals.

“We shot the ball well early in the game. In particular, Steve Dusseau put the ball in good spots,” Coach Urick said. “He and Henehan broke the defense down and forced them to make adjustments.”

Henehan opened up the scoring for the Hoyas with just one minute off of the clock, an unassisted shot to give the Hoyas a 1-0 lead. Rutgers’ Scott Massey responded 52 seconds later with a goal off of a Keith Cromwell pass to even the score at one.

The Hoyas and the Scarlet Knights traded goals again, with Dusseau scoring an unassisted goal with 10:58 remaining in the first period. But the Massey-Cromwell combination struck again, as Rutgers sent a shot past the Hoyas’ sophomore goalie Scott Schroeder at the 8:57 mark in the first period, evening the score at two.

But the experience and skill of the Georgetown offense came through, as the Hoyas controlled the tempo for the remainder of the first half. The Hoyas rolled off seven consecutive goals, including a pair from

Urick, to take a commanding 9-2 lead.

“We played a second attack for the last five minutes of each quarter, to get some other guys in,” Coach Urick said. Freshman ike Hammer, junior Jamie Sharpe and sophomore Doug Staab played on that second attack unit.

Georgetown maintained its lead in the third period, as Dusseau and Flick each added a goal. Cromwell and Ken Springer scored for Rutgers but the Hoyas still led 11-4.

The Rutgers offense put on a late surge in the fourth period, cutting the Georgetown lead to 13-7 with 4:28 left in the game. Georgetown responded with a goal by Flick but Rutgers scored the last two goals of the game, at the 3:14 and 2:32 marks, to come within five goals, 14-9.

However, the Hoya defense hung on, to preserve the win. Schroeder finished the day with five saves.

After some poor recent performances in the face-off circle, Georgetown won 12 of the 24 face-offs Saturday. The Hoyas also held the Scarlet Knights to just three goals on 11 extra-man opportunities.

Georgetown finishes off its season Saturday at the Carrier Dome against the No. 2 Syracuse Orangemen. Syracuse is 11-1 for the season, with its only loss coming at the hands of up-and-coming Cornell, 13-12.

Syracuse is lead by All-American and Player of the Year candidate attackman Ryan Powell, who has 74 points for the season on 32 goals and 42 assists. The Orangemen also return starting goalie Robbie Mulligan, with a .650 save percentage, while allowing 7.15 goals per game.

“Syracuse is not a terribly tough team to get ready for in terms of what they do but tough in terms of who does it,” Coach Urick said. “There’s pride at stake, certainly, and maybe there’s some impact in terms of seeding, but our guys really look forward to this game.”

Face-offs are going to be key for the Hoyas this weekend, as the Orangemen are led by Chris Cercy, who has won 170 of the 243 face-offs that he has taken. Syracuse uses their wingmen effectively, however, as Cercy has grabbed just 33 groundballs all season. Sam Bassett, a dominant wingman for the Orangemen, has grabbed 117 groundballs.

“The guys on the wing are really important for them, and for us,” Coach Urick said. “They control where we are putting the ball.”

The Hoyas ended their regular season in 1999 with a 17-13 win over the Orangemen on Harbin Field. The Hoyas rode a strong third period to overtake the Orangemen and propel themselves to a fifth-seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Georgetown went on to meet Syracuse again, in the NCAA Semi-finals. The Hoyas fell 13-9 at Maryland’s Byrd Stadium, in what might have been the squad’s worst performance of the season.