GU Finishes Strong, Takes First

WILLIAMSBURG, Va., Sept. 29 – Teeming with excitement, the William and Mary faithful lined the last 100 meters of their home course, anxious to see who next would come barreling down the final stretch. Although Georgetown runners Andrew Bumbalough and Matt Debole had already finished first and fourth, respectively, the Tribe countered, having their lead pack place second, third, and fifth.

The Tribe excitement was short-lived, however, as seconds later four Georgetown runners raced into sight around the final turn, erasing any doubt about who would win and eliciting a groan from the William and Mary fans.

The disappointment was plenty for the 13th ranked Tribe at the William and Mary Inter-Regional Invitational, as the 16th ranked Hoyas took first in the 10-team field. Adding to the day was the leading performance of Andrew Bumbalough, who held off two Tribe runners, among them former all-American Christo Landry, to notch his first collegiate cross country win.

But it was the pack of sophomore Sandy Roberts, juniors Alex ason and Mike Krisch and senior Justin Scheid who anchored the win, slowly moving up from a conservative start to tie down the deciding places. Director of Cross Country and Track and Field Patrick Henner saw an encouraging start to the season.

“I think today we showed that we have the potential to be really, really good, but we have to plug up some holes and execute just a little bit better,” Henner said.

On the women’s side the Hoyas turned in a strong second place finish despite missing some key pieces of the team due to injury. Redshirt junior Melissa Grelli led the way for Georgetown, finishing second.

Executing women’s Coach Chris Miltenberg’s strategy of taking the initial stages more conservatively, the Hoyas were able to constantly move up during the race, with their top five finishers in the top 16.

Miltenberg called the performances of sophomore trio Lauren Gregory (13th), Kelsey Malmquist (14th), and Renee Tomlin (16th) “a great, a huge step forward.”

Perhaps most impressive was the performance of redshirt sophomore Lise Ogrodnick who was injured for most of last year’s spring season. Missing the first few weeks of fall training as well, Ogrodnick turned in a ninth place performance in her first race back from the injury.

“Absolutely awesome,” Miltenberg said. “Once she gets another race or two she’s going to be really competitive and I’m excited about that.”

An early win gave the team confidence, but the races that count – the Big East championships, NCAA regionals and NCAA championships – are still far down the road.

“At this point in the season it’s nice to win, but we still got a lot of work to do, and we have to keep getting better,” Henner said.

The women were unfazed by 25th-ranked Virginia Tech overtaking them, instead concentrating on improving so that they can run their best when it matters most.

“Like we’ve been saying all along, we want to be our best later in the season and I see it definitely coming together well,” Miltenberg said.

The men will take two weeks of training and then go into the Princeton Invitational where the recovering freshman Ayalew Taye and junior Levi Miller hope to join them.

Meanwhile, the women continue the crescendo of their season by heading to pre-Nationals in Terre Haute, Ind., on Oct. 13 where they hope to add a healthy Liz Malloy, Joanna Rodgers, Natasha LaBeaud and Maggie Infeld to the squad.