GU, Hibbert Rout DePaul

ROSEMONT, Ill. – Just before tip-off at Allstate Arena Tuesday night, the public address announcer asked fans to stand until DePaul scored its first basket. Most fans decided to take a seat four minutes into the game when the Blue Demons called a timeout, and they had to wait until the 14:51 mark to see DePaul’s first bucket, a three from freshman reserve Dar Tucker. The Hoyas used their stingy team defense and poor shooting from the home team to jump out to an 11-0 lead and cruise to a 76-60 win. The game was not as close the 16-point final margin might indicate – Georgetown led 46-25 at halftime and held a 28-point lead midway through the second half. The Hoyas improved to 2-0 in Big East play (12-1 overall), while the Blue Demons (6-8, 2-1 Big East) suffered their first conference loss of the year. Georgetown is now atop the league, along with Notre Dame (12-2, 2-0) and Syracuse (12-3, 2-0). The Hoyas made their first seven shots, while the Blue Demons missed their first seven attempts and committed three turnovers before they recorded a point. “We made sure we limited them to one shot and made it hard for them to score over us and made it tough for them down low. That opened the floodgates for us,” said senior center Roy Hibbert, who led the way for the Hoyas with a game-high 17 points and a team-high 11 rebounds. Hibbert was a force in the first half, as he scored 10 points on 4-for-4 shooting and dished out four of his team-high five assists, including two backdoor passes to freshman guard Austin Freeman. “Roy Hibbert was terrific tonight. He set the tone very early,” Head Coach John Thompson III said. “[His] effort and the energy level were terrific, and it was infectious for the rest of our team. The rebounds he ran down, the defensive plays that he made.” Following a six point, four rebound performance in the Big East opener against Rutgers, Hibbert asserted himself early and often against DePaul. The 7-foot-2 senior repeatedly called for the ball inside and made quick moves to the basket. Hibbert finished his moves with several dunks and was particularly aggressive going after defensive rebounds. Hibbert and the Hoyas controlled the paint, scoring 50 of their 70 points in the lane and holding a narrow edge on the glass, 40-38 (25-13 in the first half). Though they let DePaul grab 18 offensive rebounds, Georgetown limited the Blue Demons to just six in the first half and hauled in 32 defensive rebounds in total. The Blue Demons, who had won their last four games on 48.4 percent shooting, went cold from the field, going just 22-for-68 (32.4 percent). Starting senior forwards Wesley Green and Karron Clarke were held scoreless in the first half, and DePaul reverted to launching three-pointers. The Blue Demons were 4-for-23 (17.4 percent) from behind the arc for the game. “We certainly had makeable shots. Guys have to step up and make them,” said DePaul Head Coach Jerry Wainwright, whose team was an abysmal 8-for-33 in the first half. Georgetown’s halftime lead would have been larger had the Hoyas not lost their composure in the final seconds when senior forward Patrick Ewing Jr. lost the ball at the top of the key. Ewing tracked down sophomore guard Will Walker and prevented his lay-up with a hard foul, but drew a technical for tossing the ball at Walker as he hit the ground. DePaul hit the two technical free throws, the first shot of the regular foul, and a tap in off the rebound of the final foul shot for a five-point possession. But senior Tyler Crawford finished the half with a lay-up at the buzzer and Hibbert opened the second period with four points to stretch the lead to 25. Joining Hibbert in double figures for the Hoyas were Freeman (13 points), senior guard Jonathan Wallace (12) and junior guard Jessie Sapp (12). Ewing added 10 rebounds for Georgetown, who had had troubles on the glass against Rutgers. The Hoyas, shooting 59.8 percent from the free throw line entering the game, were 9-for-11 (81.8 percent) from the charity stripe. Freshman center Mac Koshwal was the Blue Demons’ top performer with 14 points and 13 rebounds. The Chicago-native grabbed nine offensive boards, more than the entire Georgetown team, and scored six second-chance points. “During the game it felt like they weren’t boxing out, so I just took advantage and went and rebounded,” Koshwal said. Free Throws – Freshman guard Chris Wright missed his second straight game with an ankle injury. Wright was in street clothes but did not walk with a limp. – DePaul Head Coach Jerry Wainwright said after the game that his team had trouble with the Hoyas’ size and strength, especially on the perimeter. “Jessie Sapp – I thought I saw him last night playing for LSU at free safety,” he said. – About 10 NBA scouts were in attendance to take in the game, including Chicago Bulls General Manager John Paxson. Though it is still early, the Bulls currently have the eighth-worst record in the league and could have a high lottery pick. – The Hoyas shot a blistering 65.5 percent from the field in the first half and finished at a 54.4 clip. – Said senior center Roy Hibbert: “I get [my teammates] some passes and more open looks and set some screens so they can get good shots and that will open up things for me down low. … It’s fun to score a little bit and then when people start focusing on you and turn their back, I try to hit them with passes.” – DePaul, not known for being a particularly deep team, had 31 points off the bench. Freshman forward Dar Tucker scored 14 and sophomore guard Will Walker added 11 as reserves. – Senior forward Patrick Ewing Jr. was harassed by the DePaul students after he committed a technical foul in front of the student section. The Blue Demons had their largest home crowd of the season on hand with 11,252 in attendance.