GU Losing Streak Reaches Unlucky 13th Game

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown baseball team was unable to stop the bleeding last weekend as they suffered yet another three losses and extended their losing streak to an unlucky 13 games.

This time, West Virginia was the beneficiary of a three-game series with the Hoyas, sweeping Saturday’s doubleheader by scores of 7-2 and 8-7 and whipping the Hoyas 10-0 on Sunday for good measure.

With the losses, Georgetown plummets to 2-18 in the Big East and 15-28 overall.

In the front half of Saturday’s doubleheader, the Hoyas struck first, leaping out to a 2-0 lead with an RBI double from senior third baseman Andrew Mariniello in the first inning and an RBI single from junior second baseman Josh Corman in the second.

A five-run third inning by West Virginia, which included home run blasts from Lance Williams and Eddie Weightman, was more than enough to compensate for their slow start. The Mountaineers added two more runs in the fourth inning to win 7-2.

Senior Derek Pines chalked up his fifth consecutive loss, dropping his record to 4-6. The Mountaineers had their way with Pines, mustering eight hits and seven runs off the lefty in just 3-2/3 innings.

West Virginia’s Steve Hendren came on in relief and shut the Hoyas out for the final 5-2/3 innings, striking out four along the way.

In the nightcap, as has repeatedly been the case several times this year, the Hoyas built a substantial lead only to squander it later. Georgetown scored the first seven runs of the game, but surrendered the last eight to West Virginia to lose 8-7.

Neither team’s starter survived to the third inning as senior Franklin Jarman yielded seven hits and five runs in 1-2/3 innings while Mountaineer hurler Shane Rhodes fared no better, surrendering six hits and five runs in just one inning of work.

Senior Rich Agnowski took the loss for Georgetown, allowing three runs over 5-2/3 innings of relief work. Angowski falls to 0-2 this year.

For the second game in a row, Mariniello started the scoring with a two-run double in the first inning. Mariniello led the Hoyas, going 3-for-5 in the game with a pair of RBI’s. Senior shortstop Jeremy Harowitz was the only other Hoya to record three hits while senior outfielder Sean Mignogna was the only other Hoya with 2 RBIs.

Lance Williams again sparked the offense for the Mountaineers, clubbing four hits, while adding a pair of runs and RBIs to the ountaineer’s scoring effort.

Weary from the previous day’s heartbreaks, Georgetown managed a measly three hits on Sunday off Moutaineer starter Jeremy Cummings in a 10-0 beat-down, which completed the series sweep for West Virginia.

Cummings pitched with hardly a flaw, allowing three hits and a walk, while fanning nine in a complete game shutout.

Hoya sophomore starter Randy Erwin took the loss, his eighth of the season, scattering 14 hits and six runs in six innings.

Weightman and Todd Brock led the Mountaineers on offense. Weightman went 3-for-5, including his second home run of the series, with three RBI’s and three runs. Brock added three RBI’s as well, and a pair of runs.

The Hoyas will make a bid for their first win in nearly a month today at 3 p.m. on Harbin Field as they play host to Mount St. ary’s, who clobbered the Hoyas 17-5 earlier in the season. On Wednesday, the Hoyas go to Northeast Washington to rematch Catholic, who fell to the Hoyas earlier this spring 11-1. The Hoyas’ Big East schedule resumes next weekend as they play host to Rutgers for a three-game series.