GU Making Strides

In a season full of dark moments for the Georgetown softball team, a few bright spots can quickly lift the spirits of the first-year varsity athletes.

The Hoyas took the field on Wednesday afternoon at Mount St. ary’s looking to improve their 1-17 record. The first game ended in an 8-0 Georgetown defeat, yet the team quickly focused their attentions to the second half of the doubleheader. Though the women ended up losing 10-4, they made noticeable strides.

“We have changed completely to a hitting team. Our bats have gotten a lot stronger as the season has progressed, but we still need to cut down errors,” sophomore centerfielder Katharine Lang said. “Most of the games we play are dictated by which team has fewer errors. We are still making little mistakes, but we have gotten a lot better all around.”

The first game began with promise for the Hoyas, as they contained Mount St. Mary’s to one run in the first two innings. But the third inning was a different story. The Mount offense exploded for six runs on six hits as they knocked around Georgetown freshman pitcher Courtney Clark.

Due to an injury to Georgetown’s other starting pitcher, sophomore Anna Wheatley, Clark had to shoulder the burden of pitching back-to-back doubleheaders on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday’s games against UMBC ended in defeats of 15-1 and 19-1.

“I was definitely tired towards the end of the last game. But I think the best game I pitched was the second game against ount St. Mary’s. We have been training hard during practices, so if there was a time for me to pitch four games in two days, this is a good place to do it,” Clark said.

Despite the three setbacks, Georgetown still felt confident about its chances against Mount St. Mary’s in the nightcap. “Our morale has been terrific. During the middle of the season we were frustrated, but our goal is to play with the same intensity and enthusiasm whether we are winning or losing,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said. “It has been a challenge at times, but for the most part the girls have been great and have worked hard to stay on task.”

The Hoyas jumped out to a quick start in the second game, scoring two runs in the first inning. Lang set the tone by ripping a triple into the right center gap, and scored on sophomore Christina Calabrese’s double to center field. Junior catcher Cathy Richter reached base when the second baseman botched a ground ball and sophomore outfielder Brittany Sonnichsen followed with a walk to load the bases. Clark then proceeded to help herself by driving in Calabrese with a sacrifice fly to center field.

“Getting off to the nice start showed us we could score against them and play with them. Our team got fired up and it helped take the pressure off of Courtney. She was able to relax because she knew she didn’t have to be perfect because we were giving her run support,” said Lang, who led the Hoyas with three hits on the day.

But the Hoyas found themselves behind 5-2 when the fourth inning began. Once again, the Hoya offense answered the call and gave Clark some more run support. Sophomore Erin Doherty began the rally when she walked and subsequently stole second base. Freshman outfielder Christina Gallinari doubled home Doherty and then was driven in with a single by freshman shortstop Katherine Incantalupo.

“At any point in the game, we play like the score is 0-0. Coming back from being down showed Mount St. Mary’s that we weren’t going to roll over. We played hard, and we threatened to score the entire game,” Conlan said.

Though Georgetown ended up losing 10-4 as Mount St. Mary’s scored three runs in the fourth inning and two runs in the fifth inning, the team is looking to build off its offensive showing in Wednesday’s second game.

“I think what was great about our offense on Wednesday was that it affected our defense and our mindset. We are starting to string hits together rather than sporadically and our hitting is really coming together for the rest of the year,” Clark said.

Lang, who is second on the team with a batting average of .352, has been very important to Georgetown at the top of the lineup recently. “Kat is our tone setter. She is our quickest player and bats second. If our leadoff hitter doesn’t get on, Kat plays the role of rally starter. If our leadoff gets on, she slaps and bunts to advance the runner. She has been a part of every run and rally we’ve had this year,” Conlan said.

The Hoyas next travel to Fairfax, Va., to face George Mason in a doubleheader on April 19 and play three more doubleheaders before the season concludes against Longwood on April 29.

“If we go into the rest of the games with confidence, we can get some more wins. We beat Coppin State earlier this year and played Howard competitively. If we swing our bats and play tough, we can beat them,” Lang said.