GU Picked to Finish Second

The Georgetown men’s basketball team was picked to finish second in the Western Division in a preseason Big East coaches poll.

Seton Hall topped the division with 80 points and four first place votes. The Hoyas ended up just behind the Pirates with 77 votes, and even held the edge in first place votes with five. Notre Dame (68), Syracuse (63), Pittsburgh (45), West Virginia (27) and Rutgers (25) round out the division.

Georgetown also placed three of its members on the preseason All-Big East first and second teams. Junior guard and Georgetown team captain Kevin Braswell, who averaged 14.8 points per game last season, joined Notre Dame junior Troy Murphy, Pittsburgh junior forward Ricardo Greer, BC sophomore guard Troy Bell and Seton Hall junior guard Darius Lane on the first team.

On the second team, senior center Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje, Georgetown’s other captain for the 2000-2001 season, and senior power forward Lee Scruggs line up with Villanova junior center and Kentucky transfer Michael Bradley, senior Connecticut guard Albert Mouring and Seton Hall sophomore center Samuel Dalembert.

Murphy also garnered preseason Big East player of the year honors. Last year Murphy averaged 22.7 points and 10.3 rebounds per game.

Eddie Griffin, a 6-foot-9 Seton Hall freshman forward, took preseason Big East rookie of the year honors.

The Connecticut Huskies received 90 votes including 12 first place ballots to lead the Eastern half of the Big East, despite losing starting center Jake Voskuhl and point guard Khalid El-Amin. This is the first time the Huskies have received the No. 1 seed since the 1994-1995 season. Connecticut is followed by St. John’s, Villanova, Miami, Boston College, Providence and Virginia Tech. Villanova had two first place votes to its credit.

The Hoyas open their season with an exhibition game against U.S. Army Fort Hood on Nov. 3, in McDonough Gymnasium.