GU Ready for Leopards

FOOTBALL GU Ready for Leopards By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

After a three week road trip that included stops at Bucknell, arist and San Diego, the Georgetown football team returns home to face the Lafayette Leopards Saturday in a Patriot League match-up.

The Hoyas enter the game with a 3-5 record and will need victories over the Leopards and the Towson Tigers, who they play next week, to finish the season at .500.

“It would be unbelieveable,” Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson said of potentially finishing its first season in the Patriot League at .500. “It would be huge. But, we’ve got to get a win Saturday.”

While Lafayette enters the game at 1-7, the Leopards’ record is deceiving. The team has dropped four close Patriot League games by margins of 10 points or fewer. Those losses include a 17-16 loss to Bucknell, a team that dominated Georgetown 34-0 three weeks ago.

“They’ve played everybody tough,” Benson said. “They’ve got a nice team.”

“Certainly this is not where we wanted to be at this point in the season,” Lafayette Head Coach Frank Tavani said of his team’s 1-7 record at a media conference earlier this week. “But this is where we are and we’ll continue to make the best of it.”

The Leopards will try to rebound from a 45-24 loss to Fordham, while Georgetown enters the game coming off a thrilling last-second 24-21 victory against San Diego.

“The win in San Diego has given us some confidence,” Benson said. “Now, we’re back in the Patriot League and we have to play smart, and we have to play well.”

The Hoyas will face the challenge of defending the Leopards’ potent offense, featuring the Patriot League’s leading passing attack, averaging 264.8 yards per game.

Sophomore Marko Glavic will lead that attack from behind the center. Glavic is averaging 20.63 completions per game, placing him eighth in that category in Division I-AA. Glavic is also tied for 16th in the nation for total game offense with a 258-yard per game average.

Lafayette freshman Joe McCourt could also present a problem for Georgetown, as he stands fifth in the Patriot League in rushing, averaging 62.2 yards per game, and could certainly take advantage of Georgetown’s weak rushing defense. The Hoyas have given up 1,647 rushing yards in their eight games so far this season for an average of 205.88 yards per game.

McCourt is just one of the many young faces of the relatively inexperienced Leopards. Lafayette starts a total of 10 freshmen and sophomores, and 21 of the team’s 44 total players are underclassmen.

Georgetown has also relied on its youth this season, starting many freshmen at skill positions such as wide receiver, running back and defensive back. While the inexperience has shown at times, resulting in big plays for the opposition, the Georgetown youth movement has had its high points as well. Wide receivers Kurt Bennett and Craig Agnello, defensive back Byron Anderson and defensive lineman Andy McCoy have all garnered Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors this season.

In order to win, the Hoyas will likely have to win a shootout with the Leopard offense as neither team’s defense has been all that impressive this season. While falling to Holy Cross by only 10 points, the Leopards gave up 53 points.

The game is an important one for Georgetown, as even one win against a Patriot League opponent would be a victory for the program because as a whole, it would help justify Georgetown’s move up into such a competitive conference. The game has additional meaning in that the two teams are tied for last in the Patriot League.

“It’s the battle of the basement,” Tavani said. “One of us is going to get out of there and one of us is going to remain.”

2001 Football Team Page Schedule Roster