GU Set to Battle Ivy Power Brown

Hoya Staff Writer Friday, September 15, 2006 Lindsay Anderson/The Hoya

As Georgetown sophomore quarterback Ben Hostetler took a knee with 10 seconds left on the clock, Head Coach Kevin Kelly and the rest of his staff breathed a collective sigh of relief. Not only was the Hoyas 7-0 victory over Stony Brook finally secure, but it was also the culmination of nearly a year’s worth of hard work, dedication and uncertainty. “It was such a big win, and the players deserved it – they have worked extremely hard since January, and they’ve done everything we asked,” Kelly said. “It was great to see them reap the benefits of their hard work.” Now that Kelly has captured his first win as a head coach and the team is beginning to believe that it can win, Georgetown (1-1, 0-1 Patriot League) must take a another deep breath and gather themselves for the challenge that lies ahead: a two-game road stretch beginning on Saturday with defending Ivy League champion Brown (0-0) in Providence, R.I. Memories of last year’s debacle – a 34-3 Brown victory in the grand-opening of the Multi-Sport Facility are painful. “We didn’t show up to play last year,” senior offensive tackle and co-captain Liam Grubb said, “Especially in the second half, we came out real flat.” Things were not much better on the defensive side of the ball, as Brown running back Nick Hartigan ran roughshod over the Hoyas for 91 yards and two touchdowns. For junior linebacker Mike Greene, it was a day to forget. “It was a tough game,” Greene said after practice Tuesday. “Hopefully this weekend will have a better outcome.” No one felt the loss more than Hostetler, who made his college debut in the game, which also pitted him against his older brother Matt, a safety for the Bears. “Every time I got sacked or tackled, it was `Hey little Hos, we got you now,” Ben Hostetler said. Hartigan and Matt Hostetler have since graduated, but the returning Brown squad is equally as strong. Led by last year’s New England Coach of the Year, Head Coach Phil Estes, the Bears are loaded on both offense and defense and hope to build upon last year’s 9-1 campaign with a win in tomorrow’s season opener. Estes’ chief concern is that his team enters Saturday’s kickoff cold. “Every year we go into the Georgetown game blind,” Estes said who is 1-0 all time against the Hoyas, “They have two games under their belt, and we have nothing on them.” Estes, however, remains confident in his offense, which is led by senior quarterback Joseph DiGiacomo. “Our schemes and philosophies don’t really change from year to year,” Estes said of his team’s success running the ball against the Hoyas. “We’ll try and find a happy medium between the run and pass – whatever they can’t stop is what we’ll go with.” Brown has developed the reputation of being a breeding ground for receivers during Estes’ reign, and junior wide out Lonnie Hill looks to continue in the tradition of Chas Gessner, now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who tied Jerry Rice’s all-time collegiate receiving mark in 2003. Greene and the rest of the Georgetown defensive backfield are wary of the special relationship between DiGiacomo and Hill. “They are a great team at wide out, and we have to respect that.” Greene said. Defensive end Alex Buzbee’s memories of Hartigan’s romp remain and cause the senior co-captain more concern about the ground attack. “Pass rush is always fun, but we need to look to the run first,” Buzbee said. “Stony Brook had success late in the game against us with the toss, and Brown knows we’re kind of small, so I think they will come out and try to run the ball.” The Bears boast a defense solidified by senior linebacker Zak DeOssie. DeOssie enters the season as a main contender for the Buck Buchanan award, given annually to the nation’s top Division I-AA defensive player, and will be chomping at the bit Saturday after sitting out the final two games of the 2005 season with an injury. Estes, who has seen his share of talent during his seven years in Providence, claims DeOssie is as good as they come. “Zak has great physical and mental talent,” Estes said. “He has tremendous size and speed.” No one is more conscious of DeOssie’s ability than Kelly. “You always have to be aware of where he is, and that has been a big part of our game-planning – making sure we get a hat on him and get him blocked.” he said. DeOssie is surrounded by two other experienced linebackers in seniors David Healy and Justin Gallagher. In the secondary, the Bears return junior safety Jose Yearwood, who dropped six Hoyas in last year’s contest. The weak link of the Brown defense is their defensive line, and Grubb claims the Bears’ inexperience up front will limit DeOssie’s effectiveness. “He’s a stud linebacker, but I think they lost all four of their starters on the line, and they were his supporting cast,” Grubb said. “It will be fun to play against him this year.” While Estes is confident in the strength of defense, he has a great deal of respect for the younger Hostetler. “He is multi-talented, and he’s a great competitor, just like his older brother,” Estes said. “He has been a big focus for us.” Estes has reason to be concerned – Hostetler enters Saturday afternoon’s game as the Hoya’s leader total offense and is the team’s second leading rusher. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound sophomore spread the wealth among nine different receivers against Stony Brook, including a 40 yard bomb to junior Jasper Ihezie and a six-yard strike to sophomore Sidney Baker for the game’s lone score. Hostetler similarly shares the credit for the offense’s success. “They’re great guys and great players,” Hostetler said. “I just throw the ball where my reads take me and see who catches it.” Look for junior receivers Brent Craft and Kyle van Fleet to emerge this week as well, because as Coach Estes says, “One thing you can say about those Hostetlers is that they love to throw the ball around.” This will be Georgetown’s first road game under Kelly, and the rookie coach is interested to see how his young team will respond to their first game in a hostile environment. “[The Bears have] got their fans, they’re in their familiar surroundings, but I believe our guys will be ready to play.” Kelly said. He also added that he thought last Saturday’s win has given the Hoyas the confidence they need to take on the pride of the Ivy League. “I feel real confident about going up there,” Buzbee said, a smile crossing his face. “I think it’s a great opportunity to go up there and exploit those guys on their opening day.” Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. at Brown Stadium.