GU Shows Positive Signs

Despite disappointment, the future looks promising for Georgetown sailing.

As the young season progresses, the Hoyas are quickly adapting and improving, two things they need to do if they want to repeat as the nation’s No. 1 team.

Although No. 6 Georgetown failed to win any races last weekend, a surprisingly strong finish on the women’s side in one regatta and a resurgent `B’ team in another were positive notes as the team builds for this spring’s national championships. Georgetown finished soundly in its weakest event, the women’s single-handed, and placed second of 17 teams in the coed regatta at the U.S. Naval Academy.

At the MAISA women’s single-handed championship held in Annapolis, Md., Georgetown entered five competitors hoping to see one finish in the top-five and qualify for the national regatta.

The Hoyas left dissapointed, however, coming tantalizingly close with junior Blaire Herron’s sixth-place finish. She finished six points out of fifth place, far better than Head Coach Mike Callahan (SFS `97) had anticipated.

“We were a little disappointed,” he said, “but women’s single-handed is our weakest event so we thought Blaire sailed really well.”

Last year Georgetown sent three women to the championships, including Herron who finished ninth.

At the Hobart Fall Intersectional in Geneva, N.Y., Georgetown finished in second place to host No. 2 Hobart and William Smith College, a result Callahan expected.

“Marco Teixidor and Brooke Crawford had a good finish,” Callahan said, “Considering they have never sailed there.”

Teixidor, a freshman, and sophomore Crawford led Georgetown’s `B’ team to a third place finish, a vast improvement in Callahan’s eyes.

“Right now, `B’ has gotten better in practice. We’re pretty comfortable in that spot especially with [senior J.B. Turner] as skipper.”

The highlight of the Hoyas’ weekend was sophomores Nik Holtan and Andrea Bailey, who led the `A’ team with a second-place finish behind Hobart and William Smith.

Overall, Callahan was pleased with the weekend’s showings and noted that the season is still a young one.

“The national championships are not until the spring,” Callahan said. “It’s a very long season and right now we’re trying to see how good everyone is and take it from there.”

Next weekend, the team will split up, with 18 members piloting two long boats at the Offshore Regatta in Larchmont, N.Y, while the remaining sailors will defend the Hilltop as Georgetown plays host to its only home regatta of the year, the Tom Curtis Regatta. Navy will play host to the other two regattas slated for this weekend, the MAISA Men’s Singlehanded and the Fall Women’s Intersectional. Both regattas are scheduled for Saturday through Sunday.