GU Struggles in Latest Loss

Hoya Staff Writer Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Longwood jumped out to a 2-0 lead and held Georgetown scoreless for the first 62 minutes of action en route to a 2-1 victory on Saturday in Farmville, Va. Sophomore midfielder Cara Bunner and junior midfielder Katie Claxton accounted for six of the Lancers’ (2-4, 1-0 NorPac) eight shots on goal and each put one in the back of the net, while Georgetown freshman forward Willemijn Wijsman scored the lone goal for the Hoyas (2-4, 0-0 Big East). “We wanted to come out strong like we did against Towson and play 35 minutes really strongly,” Wijsman said. “Sometimes we wanted it too much, and sometimes we didn’t succeed in achieving our goals.”Our defense played very well today,” Longwood Head Coach Nancy Joel said in a press release. “Both [junior goalie] Erin [West] and [senior defender] Katie Murphy came up big when we needed them and [West] had some great stops in net.” Longwood dominated the first half, even though the team only notched one goal. The Lancers managed nine shots to the Hoyas’ four, and took the half’s only corner. With just seven minutes left in the period, Bunner took a pass from freshman forward Julia Hernandez and put a shot past Georgetown sophomore goalie Deirdre Crovo to pull Longwood ahead. The second half, however, was more competitive. The Lancers got the scoring at 19 minutes with a goal by Claxton on a penalty corner. Hernandez and Bunner each picked up an assist on the play. Eight minutes later, Wijsman picked up a rebound off of a corner attempt and capitalized, scoring her second goal of the season. On the half, the Hoyas managed six shots – the Lancers took four – and had an astounding nine corner chances to Longwood’s two. Though Georgetown’s single goal was not enough to even the score, the Hoyas seemed upbeat about their improved play. “I think the second half we played better than the first,” Wijsman said. “We came out stronger, we created more opportunities to score, but unfortunately we didn’t.” Georgetown junior defender Lauren Sheets said that creating offensive opportunities in the last 10 minutes was one thing the team did well. “We had several shots and several corners that put us in position to tie the game up. Unfortunately, some of them didn’t fall in for us, but we were able to get one goal late in the game and kept giving ourselves a lot of shots, which is the only way you can tie the game up.” Sheets and the defense, along with Crovo who made six saves, were a strength throughout the contest. “I think our defense played pretty great,” Crovo said. “Our right side, especially [sophomore defender] Katie Devaney, was really strong, and she did a good job bringing energy to the team.” Indeed, all season long, the defense, which is allowing just 2.35 goals per game, has been solid. “I think the defense has done pretty well,” Sheets said. “We have a new group of people who are working really well together; we have really strong communication, and I think we’re going to get better as we go along.” For Crovo, Saturday’s contest was her third game of the season, her second start and her first loss. Senior Abby Winer has started the other four games in goal, and according to Crovo, the pair will continue to split time for the remainder of the year. “Abby and I are always there for each other, kind of coaching, since we don’t have a goalie coach right now,” Crovo said. “So at any given time, either of us could start and we just have to work hard at it. Whoever starts in goal, the defense plans to be ready. “It’s different [depending on who is in goal], but both keepers are equally good,” Sheets said. “They have different strengths that we know. . They’re both equally good but we play to their strengths. It affects the defense a little bit, but we love having both of them behind us.” Next on tap for Georgetown is a date with No. 16 Providence (7-1, 0-0), the Hoyas’ first-ever Big East game after joining the conference on Feb. 1 of this year. With new territory comes new excitement, but preparation for the game will be no different than any other. “There is definitely a big level of excitement in our first Big East game, the first one that really matters,” Sheets said. “[The Friars are] doing really well, so we’d love to [beat] them here. We’re just doing the same kind of preparation for the game and treating it like any other game, but we’d love to win it.”I think we should really take this opportunity and try to make the best of it and come out really strong and show what we can do,” Wijsman added. Game time is set for tomorrow at 1 p.m. at Kehoe Field. – Canaan McCaslin contributed to this report.