GU to Face AU, Maryland

GU to Face AU, Maryland

By Mike Hume Special to The Hoya

This weekend the Georgetown field hockey team travels to College Park, Md., to face American and Maryland in the Maryland Invitational.

The tournament promises to be a challenge for the Hoyas, as both opponents sport highly regarded teams this season. Maryland was named the top team in the nation in a Sports Illustrated preseason poll while American is coming off of a season in which the Eagles were ranked as high as No. 12 in the nation.

Ironically, American earned those same high marks last year under the leadership of Georgetown’s own head coach Laurie Carroll.

“It’s exciting,” Carroll said on the opportunity to face her former team. “I know their team better than I know ours.”

Despite her excitement, Carroll remains serious about her team’s opponents this weekend. “At game time, they’re just another team.”

Georgetown will try to rebound from two recent narrow losses to Richmond and St. Joseph’s. Carroll admits however that this will be no easy chore.

“We play against some great regional teams,” Carroll said. “Maryland is always near the top of the polls, and American is a better team than their record indicates.”

Still the former American head coach is not overly concerned with the rankings of this weekend’s opponents.

“Right now we’re concerned about Georgetown. We are a young team. They’re adapting to a new coach, and I’m adapting to new players,” Carroll said. “Right now we just need to put it all together and play a full game of hockey. When it’s over we will be able to measure our progress and see where we stand against the best.”