GU Unveils New Career Center

Georgetown’s new Center for Professional Development opened its doors Tuesday and will offer courses directed toward working professionals and personnel training programs customized to meet the needs of employers.

Located in the new Hartford Building in Arlington, Va., representatives from the Arlington city government and several Georgetown deans attended the new center’s ribbon-cutting ceremony.

“This is exciting for Georgetown and CPD,” Robert Thomas, CPD executive director and interim dean of the School for Summer and Continuing Education said in a press release.

Created as an executive educational and training program, CPD offers courses and certificate programs designed to fit into the busy schedules of career professionals. Classes are offered on nights and weekends, with several certificate programs entailing just three full days over the course of a month.

“We are very pleased about this important expansion of Georgetown’s capacity,” university Provost James J. O’Donnell said in a press release.

Professionals can earn executive certificates, such as the Professional Consulting

Certificate, allowing consultants in any field to complete the “Roadmap to Consulting Success” as the syllabus proclaims.

Students can also enroll in the Transformational Leadership program, which provides managers and senior administrators the ability to develop effective organizational structures. Certificates are also available in Web developing, Cisco networking, international business management and teaching English as a foreign language.

CPD also plans to partner with organizations and employers to develop custom-learning programs and independently designed leadership certificates.

“We expect that will grow rapidly,” O’Donnell said.