GU Welcomes New Head Coach

Georgetown tennis took a big step in stabilizing the future of the program on Monday as they hired Gordie Ernst, a Brown graduate and former University of Pennsylvania head coach, as the head coach of both the men’s and the women’s teams.

“I’m thrilled to be coming to an institution like Georgetown,” Ernst said in a Georgetown university press release about the newest staff addition. “I’m really excited to get back to coaching at the collegiate level and I can’t think of a better school, in a better city and in a better conference than at Georgetown, in Washington, D.C., and in the Big East.”

Ernst’s future players, who first met him shortly after spring break, said they were also excited about the move.

“We are all really excited about Gordie,” sophomore Stephanie Cohen said. “He is really energetic and enthusiastic, and he wants to win. He’ll motivate the team.”

Ernst comes to the Hilltop from Vineyard Youth Tennis in artha’s Vineyard, Mass., where he served as executive director starting in 2002.

Prior to his time on the Vineyard, Ernst served as head coach at Penn between 1998 and 2000, and developed several of the best young players in the Ivy League. Before his time at Penn, Ernst assisted a Northwestern University team that was ranked as high as 13th in the nation.

Before he got into coaching, Ernst was a star at Brown University. A 1990 graduate, Ernst made a name for himself in both hockey and tennis, and was good enough to play both sports professionally, though after being drafted by the NHL’s innesota North Stars, he chose to pursue just tennis.

As a pro on the ATP tour, Ernst competed for four years around the world and played with and against some of the world’s most ardent competitors.

“Gordie Ernst is a terrific coach and the right person to lead Georgetown tennis,” Athletic Director Bernard Muir said in the release. “He’s got a tremendous background as a coach at the collegiate level and his experiences as a student-athlete and as a professional will be a great asset to our university.”

The weekend results on the court were not nearly as impressive. Saturday, the men (4-9, 2-2) traveled to Richmond (12-13) to take on the Spiders but fell 4-3 in a non-league matchup. Sunday, they lost to Longwood (6-8) by the same count. The women (2-7, 1-4) also took to the courts against the Lancers (6-6) on Sunday and were defeated 5-2.

On the men’s side, the weekend got started with Saturday’s match in Richmond. The Hoyas won two doubles matches and one singles contest, ultimately falling by a score of 4-3. Senior Eric Conrad and freshman Kevin Walsh won a tight No. 1 doubles match, 9-8, and sophomore Andrew Clayton and freshman Kenneth Wong eked out a 9-7 victory in the No. 3 doubles. Junior Bert Baggio was the only Hoya to win his singles match, a 6-3 defeat of sophomore Brett Waikart.

Sunday, Georgetown took on Longwood, but was defeated 5-2. Wong and Clayton won their doubles match, and sophomore Ted Tywang downed the Lancer’s freshman Brandon Lindsley.

On the women’s side, the final tally was also 5-2, with Georgetown on the wrong end of the score. Freshman Courtney Olsen, in the No. 3 singles spot, won a three set match against Longwood’s freshman Ashley Melson. Senior Charlotte Guy also took home a win (7-5, 6-4) against senior Jessica Farr. Sophomores Cohen and Liz Winokur won their doubles match, 8-6.

Unfortunately for the Hoyas, however, those were their lone wins, as Georgetown dropped the other four singles matches and two doubles contests.

This weekend’s matches were just another example of a string of difficult spring contests. Indeed, after entering the season with high hopes, the Hoyas have not experienced the success they had hoped for.

“The circumstances have made it difficult to succeed,” Winokur said, referring to the resignation of former Head Coach Rick Bausch. “Attitudes will be better next year; we are really looking forward to the fall.”

Both the men and the women return to action at 3 p.m. today against Howard on the McDonough Tennis Courts.