GU Wins MAISA Freshman Championship

GU Wins MAISA Freshman Championship

By Matt Serventi Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown sailing team came away with much success this past weekend, finishing first at the MAISA Freshman Championship at SUNY-Maritime, second at the ICYRA Sloop National Championship at Michigan and seventh at the War Memorial at Navy.

In doing so, the coed squad moved up to 11th in the Sailing World poll while the women’s squad moved up to sixth. The women’s, freshman, and coed squads also qualified for this weekend’s Atlantic Coast Championship.

Georgetown’s freshmen qualified for the Atlantic Coast Championship with the victory at the MAISA Freshman Championship, registering 90 points. Old Dominion finished second with 102 points while St. Mary’s finished third with 115.

Hoyas Ken Ward and Caroline Braga won the “B” division with 32 points, extending their win streak to five regattas. In the “A” division, Curtis Flood and Alex Holton finished fourth with 58 points. The women’s squad also finished first at the MAISA Championship.

At the ICYRA Sloop National Championship, the Hoyas finished second with 42 points. Eighth-ranked Charleston garnered first with 41 points. It was Georgetown’s highest finish ever at this event. Seniors Andy Herlihy, Ian Burman and Brian Caldwell raced for the Hoyas in this regatta.

A seventh-place finish at the War Memorial was enough to qualify Georgetown’s coed squad for the Atlantic Coast Championship. St. Mary’s won the regatta with 102 points followed by Navy with 153 points. Sophomore skipper Ryan Costello and sophomore crew Dana Scalere and Gavin Weiss finished sixth in the “A” division with 107 points, while in the “B” division, sophomore John Camera led freshman Leah Williams and sophomore Raoul Magana to a seventh-place finish with 113 points.

Head Coach Michael Callahan was particularly pleased with the performance of his freshmen, which he referred to as “the best freshman team in the country.” He was also happy with the performance of Andy Herlihy and the entire Sloop team.

Callahan has set high goals for this weekend’s Atlantic Coast Championship.

“I want our team to be the top school out of all three because we are a great coed team, a great women’s team and a real good freshman team,” Callahan said. “This event will give us a chance to showcase the talent that we have.”