GU Wrong to Honor Mesfin

TO THE EDITOR:

It is with deepest sadness that I write this letter to express my utmost objection to your university’s honoring Azeb esfin, the wife of Prime Minister Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia (“Protests Disrupt King Ceremony,” THE HOYA, Jan. 19, 2007, A1). I will not burden you with the details of what Zenawi and Mesfin, who is a member of the Ethiopian Parliament, did and are doing to Ethiopian political prisoners. I would respectfully request that you read the 2006 Amnesty International report on the subject.

In terms of honoring Mrs. Mesfin, I believe it is unethical to use Martin Luther King Jr.’s Legacy of a Dream Award in such a case. I assure you if Martin Luther King Jr. were living today as an Ethiopian in Ethiopia, Zenawi and Mesfin, would have him jailed as they did Professor Mesfin Woldemariam, who is the founder of the Ethiopian Human Rights Council.

It is often reported that more than a hundred Ethiopians are in jail for their belief in nonviolence and for seeking freedom of speech.

Isaiah 10 says, “Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless.”

Mrs. Azeb and her husband are guilty of the actions described in the above text. Georgetown University should have demonstrated the biblical character as stated in Isaiah 25:4: “For You have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat; For the breath of the ruthless is like a [rain] storm [against] a wall,”

Lemlem Tsegaw

Chesapeake, Va.

Jan. 23, 2007