Gun Ban Violates Rights

To The Editor:

How can you explain THE HOYA’s ludicrous position that a majority of Washington, D.C. citizens can vote away the Second Amendment rights of D.C.’s gun-owning minority simply because they don’t like guns? (“Holster That Amendment,” THE HOYA, March 27, 2007, A2)

THE HOYA’s editorial board might feel safer with more restrictive gun laws in place, but what right do they – or anybody – have to dictate that, because they feel safer with a gun ban, I should, too?

It may make them feel safe that the only people now carrying guns in D.C. are cops who are never at the scene of a crime to prevent it (don’t worry, they’ll arrest your murderers later) and people who don’t obey the law anyway, but I sure as hell don’t.

By what right does THE HOYA (or the D.C. City Council) tell a young woman that she is not allowed to defend herself effectively if faced with a gun-wielding, 200-pound man wanting to rape her? The key word there is “effectively,” since something tells me mace just won’t do the trick.

What the hopeless utopians of THE HOYA’s editorial board fail to realize is that there are bad people out there. As long as there is free will, there will always be bad people out there. And no matter what the laws are, bad people will always find a way to get guns (because, newsflash: Bad people don’t obey the law!).

So, when faced with one of those gun-wielding bad people seeking to take my life and property, I would much rather have Smith and Wesson by my side than Stephen Santulli and his whole blathering HOYA editorial board any day. And what right do they have to tell me I can’t?

J.P. Medved

MSB ’09

March 27, 2007