Hibri-Greene Rightful Winners

To the Editor:

As most people know by now, the winners of the recent GUSA election, Khalil Hibri (SFS ’07) and Geoff Greene (SFS ’08) have been disqualified despite the fact that they won by more than 160 votes (“Twister Declared Winner, But It’s Not Over,” THE HOYA, Feb. 20, 2006).

The Hibri-Greene ticket inspired people and gave them hope that GUSA would soon be working for them. Khalil and Geoff have worked tirelessly on this campaign for the past few weeks. Their campaign staff has also been working tirelessly and their supporters are ashamed that the Election Commission is trying to steal this election from them.

Furthermore, 1,040 people who took their time on the draining online voting system and voted for Khalil have had their votes annulled. Last year the entire election drew in about 2,271 with 9 presidential candidates.

These candidates worked to death to gain this support, and to suggest that laptops in the cafeteria could have gotten them these votes is absurd, if not downright stupid. On that note I was present in the cafeteria and can say honestly that I saw no campaigning whatsoever. Geoff merely provided a means to vote and in no way tried to get people to vote for him. I also know that some of the people that voted in the cafeteria were supporting the urchison-Ishtiaq ticket.

Khalil and Geoff are the rightful president and vice president of GUSA. The students elected them by an unheard-of 7 percent margin, giving them 45.9 percent of the vote. Don’t let the Election Commission steal an election they won fairly.

Wossen Workneh (COL ’08)

Hibri-Greene Campaign Staff Member

Feb. 23, 2006