Hoya Fans Are Treated Well

To the Editor:

In response to the letter, “GU Must Address Basketball Fans’ Concerns” (The Hoya, April 13, 2007, A2), I think Chris Golski fails to acknowledge all the work that the Athletic Department does for its student fans.

Of course they made a huge mistake by giving freshmen first dibs on basketball season tickets this year, but I’m sure they’ve realized their error, and I expect a different system to be in place this coming fall.

Additionally, it just isn’t possible financially for the university to provide transportation for every weekend of March adness. The university should be commended for putting together such a cheap, convenient transportation option to Atlanta in such a short period of time.

Contrary to Mr. Golski’s assertion that the university failed to properly provide transport during the first two weekends of the tournament, Hoya Blue provided inexpensive bus transport and hotel accommodations during both of those weeks. However, during the first weekend in Winston-Salem, N.C., tickets did not even sell out.

Also, while it was disappointing that students were relegated to the upper rafters of the Meadowlands, demand was incredibly high due to the masses of Hoyas from New Jersey. There simply weren’t enough seats to accommodate all the Georgetown students as well as the big donors that allow the basketball program to survive, so it made sense for the Athletic Department to put the students up top.

In Atlanta, hundreds of Georgetown students were in the lower deck, while all of Florida’s student fans were in the upper deck.

Finally, I take issue with Golski’s claim that Hoya Blue is “a self-interested organization … whose interests do not mirror those of the student body.” We do everything we can to provide opportunities for students to cheer for the Hoyas.

Matt Kamenski (COL ’07)

Hoya Blue Communications Officer

April 13, 2007